1988-89 Sea Ray 340 Sundancer Questions and Opinions

jasperboy

Seaman
Hello All,
Family is looking to upgrade the size of our summer accomodations from our current Regal 270 Commodore.

We have enoyed it very much, but my daugter is now 12, and just about "adult sized". When she brings a friend for the weekend the cabin gets pretty crowded.

Have looked at a number of boats and configurations, and still really like the "express cruiser" style, just want to go a little bigger.

The CFO of the family says we have to stay at a certain budget level, so going a little older is the only real way to go bigger. She also says we might as well go to "maximum size" as this one will need to last awhile.

Have often marveled at the almost 12' beam on the 340's, and they really seem to make good use of the cabin space including the mid-cabin.

I know the fuel burn on the 7.4's is going to hurt once marina gas hits $5.00, but we really do use the boat as much as a floating condo as anything else. The Lake Erie Islands would be a few hours roundtrip, and that would not be a trip we'd make every weekend, so even at 30gph I think we could manage. I know winter storage will make me cringe, but again the extra room is intoxicating.

My question to the group is general likes and dislikes on this model and year range. Things to watch for, and look for prior to buying. Any other general advise as well. I will have a professional survey prior to buying, but wnat to know other things to look out for.

Thanks in advance.