Idle adjustment 25 hp evinrude 89'

nashwinter123

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, is there an idle adjustment screw on these engines? If not which way is the easiest to raise the idle on one of these.

Dustin4185

Recruit
Re: Idle adjustment 25 hp evinrude 89'

Same question I have. Just put one on my boat (old '78 evinrude's compression is down in 1 cylinder). If I turn the throttle down, it dies before it hits the stop. My old 25 would slowly idle. It must have to be on the carb somewhere, the '78 had a screw sticking out of the carb. Can someone explain where it it or post a pic?

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

There is a idle fuel/air adjustment screw on the carb. Screw it in to lightly seat it, then back it out 1 and 1/2 turns. You can then fine adjust it from that setting. If you cannot get it to idle correctly, then follow the trouble shooting starting with proper spark on both cylinders. If it is getting good spark, then move on to a good carb cleaning and rekit. A OEM manual is a needed accessory for this motor, and you can usually find one on ebay. You cannot go wrong with OMC manuals.

Dustin4185

Recruit

Thanks. Mine was out about 3a turns or more. It idles much better. I still think I will do the carbon and def the impeller.