painting trailer need help with clear coat hardener

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: painting trailer need help with clear coat hardener

According to your link, the duplicolor is a lacquer based system. No hardeners required. The down side is that lacquers tend to be brittle which means easily chipped. That is why most auto paints went from lacquer to enamel. If you are using the BSP300 over an enamel be careful, the lacquer will eat into the enamel, in some cases causing blistering.

I have always been told to NOT paint a trailer. Just sayin....

You, of course, can do whatever you wish.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I have always been told to NOT paint a trailer. Just sayin....

You, of course, can do whatever you wish.

Bad advice. Whoever told you that must like a rusty trailer.....LOL.

You don't have to paint aluminum or galvanized trailers, but it won't hurt if you do, as long as the metal is primed with the right stuff. If not, it'll just peel off. All others require painting or they will rust the first time they get wet.

Don't use that laquor clearcoat unless you are 100% sure the existing paint is laquor as well.

"Bad advice. Whoever told you that must like a rusty trailer."

I wouldn't say bad advice, but perhaps not exact advice. ;-) Then again, I have always used aluminum so you are correct with regard to other metals. Then again, the OP didn't say what type of trailer he was thinking about painting. He might have a house trailer....er...manufactured home.

MAN! That would take a lot of spray paint.

Bondo

Staff member

im using a duplicolor BSP300 clear coat. http://www.duplicolor.com/products/psFinishSystem/

and im pretty sure i need a hardener for it to reduce the likelihood of it chipping and fading.

i found this one that says its a enamel hardener, can i use this? do you have any suggestions as to what i should use or what you have used

http://www.amazon.com/Valspar-018-0004625-003-Enamel-Hardener/dp/B000LNY1MY/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1

thanks

Ayuh,... I've never heard of Anybody wastin' their time clear coating a wagon,....

For a steel wagon, a couple coats of Rustoleum enamel is 'bout the Best protection you can apply....

Don't use that laquor clearcoat unless you are 100% sure the existing paint is laquor as well.

'n Ditto not using lacquer....
lacquer will bubble, 'n peel most paints Quicker than paint stripper....

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

As soon as you add then hardener you need to have a full forced air mask to deal with the isocyanates.

markn88

Seaman

Ayuh,... I've never heard of Anybody wastin' their time clear coating a wagon,....

For a steel wagon, a couple coats of Rustoleum enamel is 'bout the Best protection you can apply....

'n Ditto not using lacquer....
lacquer will bubble, 'n peel most paints Quicker than paint stripper....

well im painting the trailer for my boat which is a steel trailer. i used clean rusty metal primer after i grinded and cleaned the metal and then used rustoleum enamel for the color coats. so since the clear coat will "eat" the enamal if i just use the hardener in the enamel that will be more than ok? that is what im getting then.

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you used a gloss color coat, no hardener needed as rustoleum is pretty much made for what you are doing. Also no clear coat needed as the shine you have is all you get.

Bondo

Staff member

well im painting the trailer for my boat which is a steel trailer. i used clean rusty metal primer after i grinded and cleaned the metal and then used rustoleum enamel for the color coats. so since the clear coat will "eat" the enamal if i just use the hardener in the enamel that will be more than ok? that is what im getting then.

Ayuh,... The Valspar Hardener, I'm told, will make the Rustoleum harder, 'n shine longer than without it....

Woodnglass swears by that stuff,... ask 'im, down in the Restoration forum...

I've used something called Majic, that does the same thing...

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

+1 ^^^^^^^
Brakes good? Bunks good? Boat de-winterized?....go have some fun......

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Ayuh,... The Valspar Hardener, I'm told, will make the Rustoleum harder, 'n shine longer than without it....

Woodnglass swears by that stuff,... ask 'im, down in the Restoration forum...

I've used something called Majic, that does the same thing...

This is very true. Its also used widely in the tractor restoration world. But you need proper PPE to deal with the isocyanates. And that is nothing short of a forced air mask/suit in a proper booth.
Hardeners have been banned for sale to the general public in the UK and Canada.