Broken starter mount.. FIX.. how to..

ericp501

Petty Officer 2nd Class
photo-7.JPG

As you can see, my outer bolt mount is completely broken off. Starter still turns the engine and doesn't budge.

So with 2 weeks left till my marina opens I didn't feel like replacing the whole block. I tried a number of things, all types of braces, brackets, glues, etc.. This was the final fix. It starts every single time and doesn't budge a bit. I mounted a plate on the rear of the starter, put a little bolt through to stop the plate from tweaking. Then took 2 pieces of threaded rod and ran them from already existing holes in the bell housing to the plate at the rear of the starter. Bolts needed to be put on the insides and outsides of the rod for proper adjustment. I had to drill out the pre-esisting holes in the bell housing a bit. I'm not saying this is the right way to fix this problem, but its def a great temporary fix.

Just wanted to share, figured it could help a few people out.

ericp501

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Broken starter mount.. FIX.. how to..

Personally, I think blocks broken like that need replaced for a long term fix, but there are other opinions as well. Look at this thread from a couple of days ago.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=539393

I agree, I plan on finding a 4.3 block and getting it ready for the swap. But, for the time being, I don't think you can beat it as a quick fix till you find a long term fix. Took me all of 20mins and $10.

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer

Just curiosity,how does the engine block brake at the starter bolt area. Rarely hear of this in the auto shops unless?
Not tring to hijack your thread but just curiosity what happened

ericp501

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just curiosity,how does the engine block brake at the starter bolt area. Rarely hear of this in the auto shops unless?
Not tring to hijack your thread but just curiosity what happened

I bought the boat used.. The previous owner cracked it off and fixed it with jbweld. I got about 40 starts out of it till the jb finally gave. I had no idea it was cracked when I bought it. I'm guessing they hydrolocked the engine or something and went to start it cracking the housing.. They must have fixed whatever caused the break cause she runs very strong