Problems loading boat on trailer - pics included

grey2112

Seaman Apprentice
OK, have had my boat for a few months now and am still getting frustrated by problems loading it back on the trailer.

Key West 196 Bay Reef - which has a sort of oddly designed (but very effective) hull. This is my first boat, so I apologize if my vocabulary is off when trying to describe things.

Every time I try to load my boat, whether it be powerloading or with the winch, it never seems to be aligned and straight - even when I appear to be perfectly lined up. Many times I end up being canted to the right or left by about 10-20 degrees.

So, today I really looked at things and I think I understand the problem - see the pics below. The rear bunks have VERY little "wiggle room" with regards to the "flare" of the hull - you can see this angle that lines up almost perfectly with the outside of the bunk laterally. So, I have to be perfect, but then I'm not "perfectly aligned" with the keel rollers. What happens is that if I am off a little on either side then one side is too far lateral and the other side is too far medial, and they cannot overcome the hump of either, so the boat sits canted.

So, I think what I may need to do is pushing the rear bunks inward (medially) about 1.5" each, so as to ensure that the flare/lip of the hull on both sides cannot get misaligned. That way there is no way that either side can get on the inside of the bunk. I'm also considering replacing the keel rollers up front with V bunks that would allow for proper alignment and weight handling of the front of the boat keel. Right now a lot of weight is resting on these three keel rollers and of course they are slight off center. Don't think that is too good for the rollers or shafts.

Thoughts?

P40100111024x768.jpg

P40100131024x768.jpg

P40100061024x768.jpg

P40100081024x768.jpg

P40100071024x768.jpg

P40100091024x768.jpg

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Problems loading boat on trailer - pics included

I see the challenge that you have with that trailer . . . the bunks are lined up right at the strakes and and inch or two off and it slide one way or the other.

Basically, those bunks are not right for that boat. You should have the flat bunks that swivel a bit to mate with the v-shape of the hull. you could try moving those bunks in towards the centerline a bit, but the contact surface is still too narrow.

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer

Just a thought! Try loading the boat with the trailer 1/2 or at most 2/3 in the water. It has been my experience when the trailer is too far in the water he stern tends to end up where it wants. When the trailer is only 1/2 way in you are able to put the front where you want and the stern follows.

Just a thought,
Larry

grey2112

Seaman Apprentice

Just a thought! Try loading the boat with the trailer 1/2 or at most 2/3 in the water. It has been my experience when the trailer is too far in the water he stern tends to end up where it wants. When the trailer is only 1/2 way in you are able to put the front where you want and the stern follows.

Just a thought,
Larry

Been there, done that - we have tried all sorts of permutations at the ramp - half in , 3/4 in, full in, half out, 3/4 out, etc. Nothing seems to work right.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

The first thing I would do is take the stern strap hooks OUT OF THE BUNK, I think I will stop there because the rest of my comments would involve physical injury to the person who did this, the mounts should be on the trailer not the bunk.

I think that I would redo the Bunk's flat, they should run just under the strakes, having your Bunks flat allows the wood to bend and find a sweet spot with the hull and the boat simply sits in the pocket, I would also consider adding another bunk above the bottom strake just to help the boat locate itself better but thats probably a little overkill. Having upright bunks is fine for a flat bottom boat but in this case I think its causing you issues, as I stated flat bunks should be located just under the strake where the board will be flat along the hull but allowed to bend to conform with the hull along the bunks length.

You can get everything you need to do this here on iboats by the way as well

chriscraft254

Commander

Your bunks definately need to be moved inboard where they are not sitting on the reverse chines. How much you adapt the trailer to your hull is really up to you, but there are better setups available including roller trailers. Bunk trailers in general do not self center and bunks don't conform to the hull, So centering the hull is more difficult.

That being said, with the set-up you have now, moving the bunks inward where the chine isn't catching a bunk should help quite a bit.

Agree that your tie downs should not be on the stern of the bunks, your tie down straps should go to the trailer frame somewhere.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I'd be inclined to re-rig it with rollers, including one at the stern, add a power winch, and keep the trailer out of the water.

I'm not trying to mess with the American spirit here, but you could just take it into a boat shop and ask them to reconfigure the trailer for you. As many have stated, it's apparent that this trailer was setup for a very different type of boat and the transom tie-downs are inappropriately placed on the bunks instead of the trailer frame.

You can get by with a few tweaks to the current setup, but loading will always be a frustrating process until you match these two pieces of equipment up correctly.

grey2112

Seaman Apprentice

I have a boat guy who has done a lot of work for me on my boat, and he and I are going to make the changes needed once we figure out what to do, including adding a new winch and platform. I hadn't thought about the transom tie-down placement - I suppose it makes sense to have them attached to the metal vs. the bunks.

I'm not trying to mess with the American spirit here, but you could just take it into a boat shop and ask them to reconfigure the trailer for you. As many have stated, it's apparent that this trailer was setup for a very different type of boat and the transom tie-downs are inappropriately placed on the bunks instead of the trailer frame.

You can get by with a few tweaks to the current setup, but loading will always be a frustrating process until you match these two pieces of equipment up correctly.

not enuf toys

Chief Petty Officer

just my thoughts

~ bunks are out too far

~ instead of re doing the entire thing with rollers i would move inward those bunks and add a set closer to the keel. bunks are mainly wood and mounts and dont cost too much. the additional set towards the keel will help keep things inline. right now you have alot of room to play with side to side and nothing is keeping it straight.

grey2112

Seaman Apprentice

Moved the front part of the bunks inward 2.5" as well as removed the 1" wide plastic bunk slicks that were on top of the carpeted bunks (I had added these early on). That really helped a lot - had no problems loading and getting things centered. Going to add a wood V bunk in place of the rollers this week. And as an added bonus the boat is now sitting on 100% of the bunks vs about maybe 50% of the bunks like it used to.

I added new lead springs and upgraded to D rated tires from C rated - definitely a difference in the ride. Still getting used to it - it is like the trailer is much more "responsive" to quick movements, and instead of a stiff bounce over bumps it is more of a shock-absorber bounce, more "mushy" and gentle. I guess I'll get the real experience on my 8 hour drive to the Keys on I-75 in 3 weeks :)

HollaGeo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a wild thought. Bring the boat/trailer to a boat yard and tell them to align everything.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I'd be inclined to re-rig it with rollers, including one at the stern, add a power winch, and keep the trailer out of the water.
I'm with you on the rollers. That looks like a pretty ding bat setup. I woudn't want to fight that at the end of long day.

chriscraft254

Commander

Think if you look at the post above guys, he already has it worked out, the bunks just needed to be moved in so the v had something to center in and not be on the chines.

fishrdan

Admiral

I think that I would redo the Bunk's flat

Same here, it will support the boat better and conform to the hull easier. But, you'll need to buy a bunch of new hardware.

Though, I would try to make the existing setup work if possible. Attach trailer to vehicle, jack up the stern and get it centered, jack up bow a bitand center the boat on the trailer, then slide the bunks inward to where they touch the hull. Bunks laid on edge won't conform to the hull as easily as bunks laid flat, so it might be a chore getting the front of the bunks to move over if you are fighting the curve of the hull. Even if you are able to do this, I don't know if the boat is going to get full support from the bunks as the angle of the bunks might not match both the transom and where the bunks hit midship, the boat might only rest on the corner of the bunk in places.

I can't tell from the pics, but it "looks" like the bunks don't extend all the way to the edge of the transom, is this correct. If the transom isn't supported it could eventually put a hook in the hull. I'd have the bunks go about 1" past the transom (if they are not all ready).