Tachometer pole question

speterson1011

Seaman
I have a 2000 90hp 2 stoke 4cyl Johnson. I had the manufacture tachometer on it with the check gauges at the bottom. Basically the tachometer did not work but the gauges did (low oil, overheat, etc.) The guy I got the boat from tried fixing the tach before I got it and changed the setting of what the tach should be on to get the right RPM reading, although he did no remember which setting it was on now. It has the number 5 and 6 on the dial to choose from. I purchased a new tachometer with the check gauges, it is identical but I do not know which setting to put it on 5 or 6. The tach is working but I'm afraid its not reading at the right RPM's. It says something by looking at how many poles are on the the alternator to know where to set the dial to but I can not find anything in the service manual about it saying so. It is a Faria gauge. Would anyone happen to know? I've looked everywhere. Thanks

speterson1011

Seaman
Re: Tachometer pole question

Thank you for the reply. I will change the selection I believe it is on 5 now but I am not entirely sure I will check it out

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tachometer pole question

They generally read way off like 0 or 8000 when not right