Seeking ideas for replacing Johnson manual hydro tilt (pics)

Crashsector

Cadet
Good afternoon all,

My friend and I find ourselves in a quandary. First a little background.

We purchased a 1962 MFG 16.5' runabout with a 1994 Johnson 48SPL for $500. $1600 later we're almost done sorting through our issues.

The SPL line of Johnson motors had a manual hydraulic tilt. A lever on the side of the outboard, when flipped, actuates a Bowden cable, which pulls a hydraulic valve which allows fluid to move in and out of the cylinder, allowing the outboard to move up and down. When the lever is flipped back, the tension releases and the valve closes, holding the motor in its position.

To make a long story short we've rendered the hydraulic assembly useless with our cable replacement attempts. We are now assessing our options for the situation.

To replace the cylinder and cable is a $550 proposition. Not appetizing.

We could convert to power tilt/trim from the equivalent 50HP Johnson for $950. Not a chance.

The powerhead is in great shape, 160 PSI on both cylinders, very low hours, very well maintained. Runs like a raped ape and has a new $70 power pack (fixing a high-rpm bogging problem from last season). I don't think a re-power would really be worth it, but considering the prices of the previous two options, it is starting to be considered.

Does anyone have any ideas on a budget-friendly method to completely eliminate this cylinder? We don't NEED power tilt. The boat will be in a slip through the summer so some method of being able to tilt it up would be preferred.

I've enclosed some photos of what we're dealing with. Any take-off power tilt/trim assemblies are for 100HP+ units and are too wide to fit within the sides of the motor mount (about 6" at the narrowest).

I personally don't have a problem with just taking the cylinder out and operating as is, but we would like to be able to have the unit out of the water in the slip.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

--Andy
Annapolis, MD

20120401_162210.jpg

20120401_162200.jpg

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Seeking ideas for replacing Johnson manual hydro tilt (pics)

You could try the top secret files at the begining of this forum and look for salvage yards.

Crashsector

Cadet
Re: Seeking ideas for replacing Johnson manual hydro tilt (pics)

Thanks for the tip. I contacted a few of those places, nothing in stock but new parts.

I was hoping to get a brilliant idea for eliminating the whole assembly.

--Andy