1964 Starcraft aluminum runabout project

mattyrich

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all... I've just gotten a great deal on this beauty, and id love to know what model she is? the seller advertised it as a fourteen footer and the title actually reads 14 ft. ??? however, its not the original title, (it was transferred from IL so maybe they messed up?) and when i measured the boat, from transom to point of bow, it was 16 feet? Upon further inspection I've found that the id plate inside the transom reads 16 feet! Does anybody know how positively to id the model?

She is , from what I've seen, she is 100% original, even the floor and transom are still really solid. the motor is a low hour 1975 Evinrude 50 hp that runs perfect. (Literally took 25miles after initial inspection with four people and had no problems) . When I got back to the ramp I noticed that 1 of the 2 epoxy patches, that the previous owner had fashioned, came off the bottom somewhere along the way. There was a lot of water that came out of the boat when we got back to the ramp!!! like four gallons or so! I had the boat out for over six hours the previous day and hardly any water drained out afterwards, which leads me to believe that the previous owner's faulty epoxy patch mainly contributed... Im sure some of it was from splashes and some from the torrential down poor we got caught in but I know i have abit of weeping and There are two big epoxy patches i want to re-patch before i use her this summer.

i want to get her back to showroom quality, but not ready til after enjoying her this summer... i obviously need to start with these leaks but u don't wanna put a new floor in until after the summer either. the original floor is pretty solid and will definitely last this season. So... I guess Im just giving everybody an idea of where I stand with this new rig and get some suggestions as to the best way to patch a couple of leaky rivets, seams and a bigger crack that looks like it was brazed and patched with epoxy at one time. the patch has fallen off and I want to repair this hull as good as possible (From the outside) to use for the next few months, and then do it the right way ( WITH THE FLOOR OUT) after this summer Any tips? POSTING PICS OF THE HULL ASAP. THANKS!

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
Re: 1964 Starcraft aluminum runabout model IDENTIFICATION help?

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=349830 This a link to all kinds of Starcraft literature. You should find your boat. Post a few pictures, there are a lot of Starcraft owners on this site. We love pictures of them.

Sounds like you need to do some work to keep your boat safe if your boating this summer, prior to your rebuild. Post some pics of the areas and someone should be able to help with ideas for repairs if you need it.

mattyrich

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you for the link my friend. I was trying to post pics earlier but my phone was fighting me. I plan in patching up any/all if the leaks i find before taking her out again. Just lookiing for any helpful tips or ideas for finding/fixing those pesky leaks. Thanks for any ideas... pictures to come. 1964 Starcraft 1975 50hp rude'

Last edited:

mattyrich

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A few pictures...2012-03-30 14.08.17.jpg2012-03-30 12.36.21.jpg2012-03-30 11.04.34.jpg2012-03-30 11.04.16.jpg2012-03-30 11.03.59.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

That's a great rig you have there, great Evinrude too!

If it's truly 16' it's probably a Nassau.

Welcome!:)

Edit: I think I see the original ID plate back there on the transom, should say what you have right there eh?

mattyrich

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's a great rig you have there, great Evinrude too!

If it's truly 16' it's probably a Nassau.

Welcome!:)

Edit: I think I see the original ID plate back there on the transom, should say what you have right there eh?

Thanks Jasoutside, I had to buy her when i first saw her, and the seller made it a pretty easy decision for me at 800 bucks. The ID tag is there, but its actually just a foil type sticker and hard to read. Ill look a bit harder. Does anybody know where to find specific information about the different models of Starcrafts? Also, where's a good website to find accessories for these old boats besides ebay? thanks for any info. Ill post some more pics of any problems and fixes as I go. Tight Lines, Matt

2012-03-30 18.07.07.jpg

mattyrich

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was looking over some of the advertisement pamphlets and It has all the right dimensions to be either a Dolphin or a Nassau model, but doesn't have the storage compartments that are advertised on the Nassau in 65'. Mine, however, is a 1964. It does have the back-to-back sleeper seats that the Nassau shows, and not the bucket seats that the Dolphin shows. Hmmm. Here's a few more pics i took today. Anyone know if the floor will come out in one piece (not counting the piece under the dash.)? It doesn't need replaced. and can i get this vinyl floor covering that came original, or maybe a reproduction? that would be great! I thing a lil Patch n Paint, and a new floor, and she'll be ready for another fifty years... She's in really good shape, but I'd rather do the floor now than wait. Where can i find a good quality primer and paint to match these starcraft colors. Thanks again, sorry to ramble on...
2012-04-02 18.55.07.jpg2012-04-02 18.55.21.jpg2012-04-02 18.56.33.jpg2012-04-02 18.57.27.jpg2012-04-02 18.58.05.jpg

kfa4303

Banned

Hi matty. Check out this link and see if you can figure out what you got. Sweet rig you got there. Where's Longwood? I live in Tallahassee.

http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Starcraft

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Whatever it is it's a good looking rig. Looks very complete and unmolested.

I think the closest to the original floor covering I think is Nautolex. (I just picked that site since it the first google came up with with a good pic)

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer

2012-04-02 18.57.27.jpgLooks like a light boat. Aluminum hull. To fix the leaks, best way is to take out the floor to do it properly. Give the hull a going over for loose rivets and dents. Don't want to be rude but hard to understand your org post.
Quite a few experts here on aluminum hulls.
If you want more info about the builder, need the hull Id. Num.
The third letter will tell the story.

mattyrich

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi matty. Check out this link and see if you can figure out what you got. Sweet rig you got there. Where's Longwood? I live in Tallahassee.

http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Starcraft

Hey Kfa, Thanks! Im pretty partial to her as well. Thank you for that awesome Starcraft link. I have looked over the brochure for 1964, which my title says, but it still is not exactly clear. She has 3 knee braces, two back to back seats that fold down to benches, and is exactly 16' long... I'll figure it out. Longwood is about 15 minutes NE of downtown Orlando. Close to the St. Johns river, and about 45 min. from the coast at Oak hill or Titusville. Mosquito Lagoon is famed as the "Redfish capital of the world". Cant wait to get this baby back out there.

mattyrich

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Whatever it is it's a good looking rig. Looks very complete and unmolested.

I think the closest to the original floor covering I think is Nautolex. (I just picked that site since it the first google came up with with a good pic)

Thanks TDF... She is surprisingly original, and I was enamored that everything in the boat works except one switch works. Go figure that switch is the bilge... has three wires, that i can see, so I'm pretty sure it has an automatic float switch. just gotta dive in there an check it out. Im nursing a bad knee injury which is not helping. That flooring link you sent seems pretty cool for this application. my rig just has the original wood and some "vinyl covering" over top. not sure if they laminated it back then, but most of the floor is very solid. Only back towards the transom, it has a bit of flex and the vinyl is coming up, but not too bad. More pics to com of bilge, floor, etc...

mattyrich

Petty Officer 2nd Class

View attachment 139480Looks like a light boat. Aluminum hull. To fix the leaks, best way is to take out the floor to do it properly. Give the hull a going over for loose rivets and dents. Don't want to be rude but hard to understand your org post.
Quite a few experts here on aluminum hulls.
If you want more info about the builder, need the hull Id. Num.
The third letter will tell the story.

Thanks Riptorn. I apologize for my first post on this thread. I was on my phone and it kept freezing. I went back and edited it. I plan on doing a full resto on the floor and the hull after the summer, but want to get any problems patched up from the outside in the meantime. So... I guess im just going to try to do is...

1. Do a leak test even with the floor in and just crawl under with a sharpie and look for drips. ( got the boat level)
2. Wire wheel the leaky spots and alumiweld or Jb weld it and sand and spray a little paint.
3. I am also going to figure out the bilge issues as well and give her a lil wax to last the summer.

Sound good?

After enjoying this awesome boat for a few months I will do a complete service of the motor (running 100 % right now), redo the paint on the motor, replace the floor and try to match the original floor covering, recover the seats, and sand, patch, paint the entire boat. By then, She should be back to showroom quality. Ok, the motor is a 1975, but that is the only thing that's not original from what i can tell... More pics to come today...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I think I have the Fiberglass "Twin Sister" to your boat.:eek::D

Photo0430.jpg

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Looks like you stole it at 800 bucks! Very nice.