CMC Power Trim VS Factory Power Trim

roger3645

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm currently running a 1989 Evinrude 88 Spl without power trim on a 16' bass boat. I am looking for some feed back on the CMC power trim units. I have been able to locate a used one for sale, reportedly in good condition, for $250.00. I have also located a complete 1987 115 evinrude with power trim, for $400.00, and he is firm on the price. I know the 115 has alot of parts that I can keep for the 88 spl. I was just wonder if anyone can give feed back on the CMC units.

Thanks Roger

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: CMC Power Trim VS Factory Power Trim

I have used a CMC 130 power tilt. . .there was no trim version, 1 speed only. I didn't like it because it was so hard to optimize.

I have also used OEM PT&T and found it far superior because of the independent slow speed power trim.

I would buy and mount the 115.

Skeeterbait

Cadet

I am running a CMC PT130. I had no choice, could not locate OEM replacement when mine went bad. For what it is worth, I am completely satisfied with it. Very well made. The six inch setback allowed me to run the engine two holes higher than when mounted directly to transom. The added leverage of the setback also allowed me to trim the boat higher without porpoising. I picked up about 3 mph as a result. The negative trim built into the unit gets me on plane quicker also. Now every boat setup is different, but in my case it was total improvement with no compromises.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Runa CMC for years and it has never once given me a problem as Skeeter said the set back actually gains you speed and no offense to JB but the have a ton of adjustment, it can be a challenge to get them dialed in but I like messing with the boat anyhow.

Not to mention I would trust the much newer unit to one that is 25 years old and is twice as much and harder to get on the boat, in my head it is a no brainer, CMC.