exhaust getting hot on one side of fresh rebuild.

adg72484

Cadet
I bought a 1996 VIP Valiant 4.3 as a project boat that had not been run in several years. It turned out the block and heads
were cracked so I replaced the engine and reused the old intake and exhaust manifolds. On initial start up both
manifolds got so hot they melted the flapper valves and exhaust bellows. I then did some research and decided to remove the outdrive to check the impeller in that. I have not had to time to pull it apart but I did stick a garden hose in the fresh water port and started it again. This time It runs for about 5 minutes and then one exhaust manifold stays at 90degrees while they other one slowly creeps up to 190degrees. I notice that when it starts heating up I have less water flow out the exhaust port then the side that is staying cooler. I'm thinking that I need new manifolds but want to make sure its not a water pressure issue from using a garden hose as opposed to the outdrive impeller pumping water.

I have also removed the suspect manifold and ran water through it and it appears to flow pretty good while at room temp. I'm guessing maybe when it gets hot its expanding and slowing the flow?

I have the old one piece manifolds and dont really want to put another $800 in this project if i dont have too.. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good place to get one replacement or a cheaper kit for the newer 2 peice and elbows?

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: exhaust getting hot on one side of fresh rebuild.

It is possible that you are not getting even flow to the manifolds from the hoses that come from the thermostat housing. Check there first, I do not see expansion in the manifolds as blocking that much water flow.

adg72484

Cadet

What would cause an uneven flow from the thermostat housing? I have noticed that the hose also warms up as the exhaust manifold on that side.

Bondo

Staff member

What would cause an uneven flow from the thermostat housing? I have noticed that the hose also warms up as the exhaust manifold on that side.

Ayuh,... Probably ole chunks of yer Wasted impeller...
I have the old one piece manifolds and dont really want to put another $800 in this project if i dont have too.. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good place to get one replacement or a cheaper kit for the newer 2 peice and elbows?

Those 1 piece manifolds are a Junk motor, just waitin' to happen....

Convert it to 2 pieces units, while ya still got a runnin' motor...

adg72484

Cadet

well i just pulled apart the outdrive and the impeller is intact so that wasn't the issue. Its sounding like replacing those manifolds will be my next step... any suggestions on the best place to buy them from? Also when i pulled apart the outdrive on the fresh water inlet tube off the impellor housing there was a melted piece of plastic that went around the tube.. what was this?

Bondo

Staff member

well i just pulled apart the outdrive and the impeller is intact so that wasn't the issue. Its sounding like replacing those manifolds will be my next step... any suggestions on the best place to buy them from? Also when i pulled apart the outdrive on the fresh water inlet tube off the impellor housing there was a melted piece of plastic that went around the tube.. what was this?

Ayuh,.... That's the alignment piece, that helps align the tube...

Replace the impeller, with a complete water pump Kit....
While you've got the lower off,...
Back-flush from the T-stat housing end of the water line from the drive....
There still may well be chunks of an ole impeller in the line, or the P/S Cooler...

And,.... If that little tube is melted from runnin' Without water flow,...
The shutters in the top of the y-pipe are also, No Doubt, Smoked to dust...