Repainting my deck?

JOHNSON140HP

Cadet
I just bought my first boat and i have been cleaning her up. The top deck looks like crap .I want to repaint it but not have to ruff up the whole surface with sandpaper what is a good paint to use for good adhesion and protection?

dstroud1987

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Repainting my deck?

I'm thinking of painting my deck eventually as well. From what i'v been reading, it takes at least a little bit of sanding/scuffing to get a good coat of paint to really stick and do a good job. is there a reason that you cant sand it at all? or is it just a time issue?

is there already paint on the deck? or is it just wood or fiberglass? if you give more detail on what you are up against im sure someone on here with much more knowledge will tell you everything you need to know.

congrats on your first boat! i just got my first one last month too!

Sandbank

Seaman

I just bought my first boat and i have been cleaning her up. The top deck looks like crap .I want to repaint it but not have to ruff up the whole surface with sandpaper what is a good paint to use for good adhesion and protection?

So we can assist...First of all,what surface are you trying to paint over? Wood, FG?? What condition is the previous surface (define crap!!).If FG,does it have an anti-slip pattern?
What kind of finish do you want?

Sandbank

Seaman

Oh,I forgot, congratulations on your new boat. You will never have a full wallet again but you will never have had so much fun!!

chriscraft254

Commander

Like already said, can't give you advice without furthur information on what is existing. But, that being said, any paint is only as good as the preperation before hand. Degreasing/cleaning and sanding the surface wether it be existing gelcoat,paint or other material is a must for proper adhesion, especially when talking exterior applications or walked on surfaces.

You want a nice looking deck, you have to be willing to pay for the work or be willing to do it properly yourself.

If you slap something on your deck without the proper adhesion/sanding, it will look great for atleast a week! until it statrs to peel or flake. :eek: Good luck.

if you really want the best advice here, I suggest you post some pics of what your deck looks like now.

JOHNSON140HP

Cadet

Sorry guys and I feel very welcomed here I will take some pics as soon as I can maybe later the boat is at a buddys house I can't keep it at my location right now

JOHNSON140HP

Cadet

Here is a pic of what im trying to paint sorry again not my deck. the top of my boat not sure what its called where my rails are.I already sanded down my inside wall with 80,120,220 grit as you can see i already laid one coat of white paint but i bought some rustoleum gloss white and rolled it on it .Looks like it probably needs two more coats for sure.I dont want to use that paint on the top i wanna use the right stuff for the top that's what i was asking.I am removing all lights,cleats and rails.

Attachments

• IMAG0842.jpg
    IMAG0842.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0844.jpg
    IMAG0844.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 0

Sandbank

Seaman

Here is a pic of what im trying to paint sorry again not my deck. the top of my boat not sure what its called where my rails are.I already sanded down my inside wall with 80,120,220 grit as you can see i already laid one coat of white paint but i bought some rustoleum gloss white and rolled it on it .Looks like it probably needs two more coats for sure.I dont want to use that paint on the top i wanna use the right stuff for the top that's what i was asking.I am removing all lights,cleats and rails.

If I understand you are painting the gunnels(the part on the side you would sit on!) and maybe the bow deck area(as see has holes). UR still a bit vague on what you are trying to paint over! but looks like you have gel coat.-a worry as why would you use rustoleum unlessit is steel then a whole different process anyway!
Only my humble opinion but ...compared to some boats we see your gel coat looks pretty bloody good! Just slapping paint on is not a remedy in any case and will last about a week
My advice is first:
do a test area to see of you can get the gelcoat up; GENTLY...start with about 100 grit wet and dry and work up thru 200/300/500/800/1000/1200 till smooth then get a good quality polish agent (eg 3m buffing compound) and give it a polish and see what it looks like._maybe this will do??
if not good enough u haven't wasted anything as really surface prep for painting would follow the above anyway for a pro finish: as to if you need to paint plenty on other forums here but your choices are gel (maybe a bit hard for a novice);two pack or single mix (MUST be marine hull paint!!) I have used DuPont before with excellent results in one pack. You need to research as there are different durability properties for each (and cost) so depends on your area/uses of boat and skills as an applicator.