Engine starts then stalls HELP PLEASE

Briandale92

Cadet
I have an 87 four winns horizons with a 3.0l 140 mercruiser. I will take it out and it runs great no problems for about 10-15 min. then it stalls. Acts like its starving for gas. I try to crank it back up and it will not. If I wait about 20 min. it will fire back up. I cleaned out carb. and made sure it was getting gas and it is, next I replaced coil, after that I replaced the rotor, condenser, and points inside the distributer. Just knew that was it but it wasnt...??? I'm stumped. what could this be??

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Engine starts then stalls HELP PLEASE

When was the last time the fuel filters in the fuel pump and carb were checked and replaced? Does it have a water separating fuel filter?

Briandale92

Cadet

Yea fuel filter is good i do not know if it is a water separating one though. I didnt think to check the wire that connects the coil to the distributor so i did... and the wire is really small like speaker wire. could this cause it to pull too much through that small wire and cause the distributor to get really hot? Bc i forgot to add that it gets hot.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yea fuel filter is good i do not know if it is a water separating one though.

Is that the one in the fuel pump or the carb?

Here is what a water separating fuel filter looks like.
http://www.iboats.com/Fuel-Filter-W...58276845--session_id.165161836--view_id.56071

and the wire is really small like speaker wire. could this cause it to pull too much through that small wire and cause the distributor to get really hot?

It's only a 16 ga. wire, that is normal and no it won't overheat the distributor.

Briandale92

Cadet

I found what was wrong. the resistance wire going from the coil to the alternator wasnt connected at the alternator. So when it got to running temp it wouldnt regulate the coil so it made the distributor get hot and stop working. Thank you for your help.