water and air pressure in tune WTH

smitch3806

Cadet
I have 98 Monark 22', today I took it out for the second time. I had a leak that I fixed and thought all was good. I get home and park it and hear water sloshing(not the one I fixed,other back chamber)so I pull vent plug and there was some air pressure(hisssss) then I insert 1/8 tube and draw water out, I don't know how much still draining. What's going on? What do you guys think? If there was a hole I wouldn't have pressure would I ?

Jeep Man

Commander
Re: water and air pressure in tune WTH

I have 98 Monark 22', today I took it out for the second time. I had a leak that I fixed and thought all was good. I get home and park it and hear water sloshing(not the one I fixed,other back chamber)so I pull vent plug and there was some air pressure(hisssss) then I insert 1/8 tube and draw water out, I don't know how much still draining. What's going on? What do you guys think? If there was a hole I wouldn't have pressure would I ?

I'd conclude that if you have WATER then you have a leak.

smitch3806

Cadet

is the hole in the bottom of the toon and the water keeps air presure from escaping or what? I guess I don't under stand how there could be a hole and it can keep air pressure. Someone smarter than me please explain. Thanks

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Intersting... pressure in the log can simply be from changing temptures and if its a very small leak yes it can build up some pressure Have you done a soap/leak test, and do not use more than 3 psi, or a static over night pressure test.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Yes, even with a leak you can have air in the tubes, there is alot of air in there and it expands and contracts especially being at 100% humidity, the leak is probably small and can't keep up with the pressure change, that is actually how alot of water gets in the tube.

When you put it in the water it is hot from the sun hitting the tube and the water is colder so it makes the air contract and go to a vacuum so they actually suck water into the tube until the pressures equalize again, I have seen this several times at work , we use vented plugs now that have a 1/16'' hole in the top to help vent the tube.

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is water from condensation possible?