99 Evinrude Ficht Shift Rod Linkage

hard water

Recruit
I was replacing the water pump on my 99 90HP Evinrude FICHT and I was not able to remove the lower unit so I assembled everything back together and I am not able to follow the procedures in reverse when getting to moving the shift link rod away from the power head as it will only move so far(not enough for the retaining pin hole to be exposed). How can I get the shift link rod to move out from the powerhead far enough?

Any help would be appreciated.

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 99 Evinrude Ficht Shift Rod Linkage

was the reason for being unable to remove the lower unit that you forgot to release the shift rod mechanism on the upper part? if yes its possible that you screwed it up and now its stucked. if it happend this way check for damage.

hard water

Recruit

Thanks for the response. I did release the shift mechanism(move towards the power head) as per the service manual. Just doesn't go back again?

Thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Have you got the upper shift linkage and the shift rod aligned properly ??

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You must pull the shaft towards you and hold it with say a screwdriver, Then using either your fingers or one more screwdriver, get the top hole exposed on the shaft keep in mind that you have to keep the flat and wave washer compressed then insert the pin, only half way though. then use needle nose or your fingers to hold the pin in place. Then push on the bottom of the flat washer with a screwdriver and push the pin in. After your 5 or 6 time trying you will get what I'm talking about . *note make sure that the Wavey part of the pin faces stern.

hard water

Recruit

So looking at it and now playing a little the only way I can get it to slide out all the way is to engage in reverse and it will slide out to where I can see the hole just fine. In neutral or forward it will not slide out at all.

hard water

Recruit

Thanks everyone for the help. I walked away for a little bit and stepped back in and took another look. I found the vertical shift link slid back to where the pin on the shift mechanism would not align in the hole on the vertical shift link. I moved that forward and all is well again. Looks like I will try again tomorrow to get the lower unit off.

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer

6 bolts hold Lu in place. There is one hidden under trim tab