Bow vs stern lifting for a 3.0LX

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer
I'm a little lost when it comes to the difference between a bow vs stern lifting prop and how that relates to overall advantages/disadvantages.

Meaning: If I want a nice 21p SS prop for my boat that will get me up on a plane and keep me there at a decent RPM, what would you recommend? A bow or a stern lifter?

I was looking at Solas props a while back for being bow lifters, but can't find where they make a prop for my motor anymore. Did they stop?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bow vs stern lifting for a 3.0LX

Before a prop selection it would be better if we had your base line performance numbers.
if you answer the questions in "read this first" at the top of the page.
A stern lifting prop will help get the boat up and keep it up.Usually a 4 blade prop.
The pitch numbers would depend on your present performance numbers.

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry.. I already knew that I was up for a 21p and went straight to the question. To answer:

1) Performance issue you are trying to correct. - Over-revving
2) Current prop manufacturer, model, aluminum or stainless as a minimum. - Michigan SS
3) Current prop diameter and pitch (required). - 14 x 19p
4) Wide open throttle RPM and speed with an average load (very helpful) - 5100rpm / 42mph
5) Engine/drive make, model, year, and HP - New 3.0LX/Alpha 1 Gen 2
6) Boat make model, year, length and weight

As you can see, I'm over-revving by a few hundred RPM so I'm in need of a 21p if I'm to stick with a 3 blade. I'd like something that hold me up on a nice cruising plane easily and doesn't kill my hole shot as I do watersports behind the boat from time to time.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Do you know the gear ratio?It may be on the outdrive.
using 1.94 ratio your numbers seem reasonable though the slip is at the high end of normal 11%.
Your boat is a little outside the norm 3.0's do run in the 40 mph area more or less, but 42 and over revving is unusual.
According to my info your 500 over the rated rpm.Maybe the gen 2 is slicker.
How is your hole shot? Is it a struggle to find a stable low cruising speed?
It does seem that a 21" may be in order.But it may slow your hole shot and make it more difficult to maintain a slow cruise speed. A 19" 4 blade could lower your rpm 100-200. going to a 21" 4 blade as well might knock off a total of 400-500.
The 4 blade should have good hole shot stay on plane better and respond better around the dock.

fishrdan

Admiral

SS, the newer 3.0's have a 4400-4800 WOT RPM spec and I think he's going to have the 1.98 ratio in the drive. I'm kind of jealous at his performance numbers and wished my boat/engine combo ran that well...

How about a Solas HR Titan 20P 4 blade? I'm thinking it will scrub off around 400RPM while keeping hole shot the same,,, or improving it a bit. Kind of spendy at $350 though....

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

True... a 4 blade 19P may be what I'm looking for.

It is a pretty hot little motor.. in fact I think I may be more around the 44 mph range @ 5100 rpm.

A SS vented 4 blade 19p.. hmm... that sounds kind of nice. Any suggestions?

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

You would get top all around performance from a Stiletto 21p 3 balde ss they are a overall lifting prop. With that said..a 4 blade props will give better 0-30 performance.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Yeh,Fisherdan that was a bit of a surprise I've seen 3.0 operate with 21" but not overev so easily.
Mark, fishrdan was thinking of a 20 to maybe drop the rpm 400, vented it should improve hole shot
and gain those other things I mentioned.Ut seems to me though while you need to lose some rpm
the 19" 4 blade may lose too much speed. A 20 would drop the rpm but give you some pitch to help make up for the drop.You could try a vented prop you can always plug it if it doesn't work right.
Makes sense to me.

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

A 20p 4 blade or 3 blade?

Any exact prop suggestions?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

He suggests and I concur 20" 4 blade. For more predictable results a ss prop is best also
same brand. Same brand isn't life or death just more predictable.