My first boat

jtbryant

Recruit
Ok, posted this and lost it somehow. I am looking for a boat, and I am completely new to boating. I have been on boats, fishing skiing etc. but that's about the extent of my experience. My kids are growing up, and getting ready to leave for college, so we are taking a lot more trips. I love to fish, my son loves to fish, daughter enjoys fishing/lounging, and my wife does too.

I know I need a used boat, but what kind? Here in South Mississippi I have access to the Gulf, lots of rivers, lakes, ponds etc. What kind of boat could get in a large pond, and also in the gulf (not too far out). I know I won't find something that does everything, but the biggest thing is something to relax in and fish/have adventures. Would love to take the family shrimping or something, but the lake nearby would be where we are the most.

Ideas? Is it better to buy a new boat and have to recarpet and fix up, or an older boat that has been well maintained?

Thanks,
jtbryant

southkogs

Staff member
Re: My first boat

Welcome aboard JT.

How big of a "pond?" A boat that will handle the gulf and one that will fit in (what I consider) a pond are opposite ends of the spectrum.

The Rooster

Ensign

Welcome to the forum "JT". Might consider a "Toon" in the 20' - 24' range. Great all around rig. Good luck !!!

tpenfield

Staff member

Welcome to iBoats . . .

I would recommend a boater safety course for you and perhaps other members of the family since the kids are older. You will learn a lot about boating and proper procedures and safety. Boating is dangerous, as well as fun.

You should also start looking at boats and talk to people. You will learn something about boats with each one. We can provide some knowledge, but nothing beats real-life, first hand experience.

www.nada.com in the consumer boating section lists many of the popular brands of boats, so you can become familiar with brand names, etc. Then there are the various types of boats, so I'm not sure what you are familiar with.

Then it is a matter of narrowing things down based on what you think your needed/likes are. There is no perfect boat, it will be a compromise. The dollar goes a lot further in the used market, as new boats loose a lot of value in the first few years.

For a family boat, having a rest room (head) on board is almost a must. If you are thinking about the Gulf, then something in the 22 foot range might be good as a starting point.

My first boat was a 22 foot sailboat (sloop) and then I graduated to a 24 foot powerboat.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

my 1st boat to own was a 12ft jon boat that had been run over by a tug boat-just beat out the dents and put silicon sealant on the holes!
find one you like and be happy with it!

Pontoon24

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you haven't heard the old definition of a boat, "a hole, surrounded by water into which you throw money" know it can be painfully true.

Suggestions I would make are to go to the places you want to boat and look what others are using. Different boats for different areas.Talk to the boat owners there. Ask why they have what they have. Consider renting one for an outing, then try another style. Don't get sucked into the first "great deal" that comes along. Less can be more. Trailering, maintaining and outfitting a boat can take all the fun out of it. A boat needs more attention than a car to keep running well and the more boat, the more maintenance. Talk to friends about their boats and find out what it is to own one.

A pontoon boat may work well for you but maybe also a 16' to 20' Center Console.

Think about how much boat can you tow with your vehicle. Make sure the boat is rated to carry your 4 person family. The most valuable thing on most boats is the motor, have it checked out. Take a knowledgeable boat person with you when shopping. Oh, and have fun.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

no pontoons in the gulf.

start with a 17-19' center console outboard on a single axle trailer and go from there.

Pontoon24

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Out in the gulf???????
The OP stated not too far out in the Gulf. The Gulf I know is nothing but a big ole pond most days. Cruising along the shore close to an inlet should not be a problem if common sense is used.

However, I sure do like the simple clean lines of something like a Hewes Redfisher

jtbryant

Recruit

I guess I shouldn't have said pond, probably small lakes would be a better term. Something I can get in to smaller bodies of water, but something that might be able to get out to Ship Island in the gulf safely?

Like I said, I'm a complete newbie to boats, so I really don't know what I'm looking for, or what the "rules" are.

I would be hitting the local lakes, Jeff-Davis Lake, Lake Mary Crawford, Ross Barnett Reservoir, maybe a trip up to Sardis, Enid, Grenada, Pickwick etc. and I have a friend with a nice stocked lake that I believe is 2.5 acres.

Now IF, really big IF, there is a choice in boats that could let me take the family into the bays and close to the coastline on the gulf, that is something I would love to do. It's one of those I don't need to rule out since we are only 1.5 hours from the coast and New Orleans. Could a small boat make it out to ship island? That's as far as I would ever want to go on my own. I would charter a boat for anything else.

I'm hoping to get down to a choice of about three boat "types" that will allow me the family to fish, lounge, and maybe pull a tube around or something - not planning on getting in to skiing. As I get more into boating I will probably end up with an inexpensive jon boat for the little ponds. I'll then hit the classifieds and find a good boat between those three types, and price would probably make the decision.

I don't want to store the boat, so boat and trailer that I can park in my carport or cover in the backyard is what I'm thinking.

I like the pontoons and deck boats, but are smaller lakes an issue? I like the cuddy cabins, but we won't ever be far enough out that a quick trip to the bathroom is a problem. My kids are teenagers, so I doubt there will be any accidents. I've really liked the split consoles? I've seen. The type of boat that has access through the windshield to a place for the ladies to lounge while me and the son do some fishing. Not sure if those are a certain type of boat or what.

I guess I am looking for advice on what type of boat fits the most things that I want to do. I probably can't get all, but can I get most? I can back off the idea of doing a little shrimping and fishing near the coast if that's just not doable.

1. Needs to seat at least 4
2. Needs to be able to get into smaller lakes.
3. Room for fishing for the guys, while the girls either lay out or fish themselves.
4. Maybe pull a tube. Skiiing? Nice but not a priority.
5. Bays or close to the coast? Would be nice, but not a must have.

Thanks a lot guys, I'm not one of those that asks and then doesn't read through everything. Most of my friends come to me for information on anything I've ever bought because they know I don't have a lot of money (work for the schools) so I research anything I purchase to the point that I am almost obsessed until I finally make up my mind and purchase.

Thanks,
Tim

The Rooster

Ensign

"JT" not to push the issue too much either way but, we've done Ship Island by water several times over the years w/ our Pontoons. Across Lake Ponchartrain to Slidell, then through the Miss. sound to the island. Yes, you've got to pick your days and be sensible, but you're always in site of land. Good luck !!!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

you're new to boating. First, don't buy anything that isn't turn-key ready to go. The "all it needs is..." is the oldest trick in the book.

You're inexperienced and boatnig with a family. You will have to pay for reliability.

Don't buy an I/O.

Get a 17-19' center console, self-bailing, with built in bow seating for the girls to "lay out" on a single axle trailer. (If your girls don't fold up, replace them).

calvinator

Petty Officer 1st Class

x2 on the center console, outboard, and trailer combo. 22'. Goes anywhere, does anything.

jtbryant

Recruit

x2 on the center console, outboard, and trailer combo. 22'. Goes anywhere, does anything.

Ok, can you post some links to the type of boat you are talking about?

So are you saying I should go with a new boat, or are my chances good of finding a used boat that will be reliable? I've wondered about the engines. If there's not much difference I can work on a car or truck engine with no problems.

Thanks again for all the info!

Thanks,
Tim

southkogs

Staff member

The '76 Tidecraft (post 1) isn't going to be any good for the Gulf water. It'll be a maintenance boat. Even if it's in good shape, it'll need work. The pontoon (post 2) is probably not the best Gulf boat either, nor will it be a good tubin' boat (though it'll pull one). But y'all will love cruising, lounging and fishing off of a pontoon. Don't even look at the Bayliner ... there's problems in that boat (guessing from the post).

If I were you, I'd be checking out this boat.
http://neworleans.craigslist.org/boa/2931310643.html
One of the best built brands out there, great outboard on the back, price doesn't look bad and it will do nearly everything you listed. It doesn't have the comfortable lounges the ladies are looking for, but there's room on board ... and it's more comfortable than it looks.

Here's another that is worth looking at:
http://neworleans.craigslist.org/boa/2908993068.html
I can't tell you what kind of shape I really think it's in, but it's another type of boat that would fit you pretty well.

Good luck bro.