Battery Charger, Accessories, and Trolling motor...

justinsoffa

Recruit
I searched through many previous threads and didn't come across a diagram for my situation. I had a motorguide trolling motor with a 12/24V option on the foot pedal which plugged into the 4 prong receptacal; I have now upgraded my trolling motor to a 24V minn kota 70# powerdrive without the option of 12V. The new trolling motor simply has a + and - wire coming from it and the old one had three wires. The receptacal has three wires plugged into it, black, red, and orange. I have three batteries in the boat, and all are connected to an onboard 3 bank minn kota charger. The starter battery is hooked up by itself on one bank. The other two batteries are on their own bank as well, but the negatives are jumped between the two batteries. The orange wire goes from the + on one battery, to the breaker, and then up to the receptacle, and the red does the same but on the other + of the other battery; the black wire comes off of the jumped - of the battery and goes strait to the receptacle. It doesn't matter to me if I use the receptacle or if I just connect the motor straight up, however, I would like to use the receptacle. How exactly should I wire the batteries, I know it needs to be in series, but don't really understand why it was wired the way it was. Did the 12V/24V switch on the old motor simply put the batteries in series? Also, lets say I wire them in series and run a + from one battery and - from the other and jump the other + and - will that have any effect on my charger? I would hate to burn it out or burn out the new trolling motor. Sorry for the long message as I was trying to give the most info as I could, and thanks ahead of time! :)

justinsoffa

Recruit
Re: Battery Charger, Accessories, and Trolling motor...

I searched through many previous threads and didn't come across a diagram for my situation. I had a motorguide trolling motor with a 12/24V option on the foot pedal which plugged into the 4 prong receptacal; I have now upgraded my trolling motor to a 24V minn kota 70# powerdrive without the option of 12V. The new trolling motor simply has a + and - wire coming from it and the old one had three wires. The receptacal has three wires plugged into it, black, red, and orange. I have three batteries in the boat, and all are connected to an onboard 3 bank minn kota charger. The starter battery is hooked up by itself on one bank. The other two batteries are on their own bank as well, but the negatives are jumped between the two batteries. The orange wire goes from the + on one battery, to the breaker, and then up to the receptacle, and the red does the same but on the other + of the other battery; the black wire comes off of the jumped - of the battery and goes strait to the receptacle. It doesn't matter to me if I use the receptacle or if I just connect the motor straight up, however, I would like to use the receptacle. How exactly should I wire the batteries, I know it needs to be in series, but don't really understand why it was wired the way it was. Did the 12V/24V switch on the old motor simply put the batteries in series? Also, lets say I wire them in series and run a + from one battery and - from the other and jump the other + and - will that have any effect on my charger? I would hate to burn it out or burn out the new trolling motor. Sorry for the long message as I was trying to give the most info as I could, and thanks ahead of time! :)

Also, where should I hook up my accessories? I just purchased a new humminbird 958 di and haven't installed it yet so wiring it differently isn't an issue.