What is this engine ? Volvo what ???

Ghost21

Seaman Apprentice
I'm trying to figure out what make and model etc this engine is. I know your thinking holly F^^*6 this guys a newbie. Let me explain It's in a 1976 Glasply Boat I have searched for the metal label everywhere and cant find any record of it. I see on the top a label that says 130 and on the one side I see Volvo Pentra. On the block I can see embeded into it what looks like B20. The engine is then tied to a Volvo 280 Leg. I bought it and from a friend for cheep and it was his dads and he said it was running and winterized last september. What do I have to get this back up and going in perfect running order. I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty and have worked on lots of engines but I figure to know what your workign on first before I dive in..

Anyone help me out..

IMAG0348.jpgIMAG0358.jpgIMAG0360.jpgIMAG0395.jpgIMAG0397.jpg

captmello

Captain
Re: What is this engine ? Volvo what ???

Welcome to iboats.

Sounds like you've got an AQ130 engine. There is also a letter that follows A-D, not sure which you have, nor was there much difference.

Go here to download manuals for your engine and outdrive.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=2360521#post2360521

Go here, type in aq130 in the "engine type" box and you can download other info as well.

http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopent...lication_search/pages/publication_search.aspx

Nice looking boat, btw.:)

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What is this engine ? Volvo what ???

Captmellow is correct - it's an AQ130. They typically paired the 280 outdrive with the D model. Not much difference in the C and D versions until you get to the crankshaft. Most tuneup parts are the same but cap and condenser are based on the distributor number and not necessarily the engine. It looks like someone has replaced the cylinder head. Not uncommon to find cracks in the heads if they've been overheated. Luckily, the engines are relatively straightforward and easy to work on. Don't hesitate to shout out if you have problems. Several of us here have those engines and have firgured out how to keep them running.