2001 johnson 150hp miss

bassone

Seaman Apprentice
2001 johnson 150hp that has a miss at low rpm's, called the shops around here and they are two weeks out and i have 2 tournaments coming up that i can't miss. motor runs very strong once i get around 1700 rpms, but has a miss at idle to 1700 rpms, sometimes it dies and is a little hard to start, changed plugs out, the old ones had alot of black on them but the new ones didnt help also checked compression and was great, just had a complete powerhead rebuild about six mounths ago, just dont want the huge cost of a rebuild again. any ideas? one person told me it sounded like a cam sensor, thanks for your time and help!!!!!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2001 johnson 150hp miss

Just guessing but it could be the OSI sensor or a bad pack. Pull one spark plug wire off at a time when it's acting up and see if you can narrow it down to one cyl or more. If you have a timing light, put that on each cyl and look into it. If you find black spots, that's the cyl that's missing.

bassone

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 2001 johnson 150hp miss

Thanks! I don"t guess i understand what you mean about the timing light, could you explain it a little better? Thanks again for your help!!!