Yamaha SX200 Water Pump Question

will941s

Chief Petty Officer
Going to change the water pump of my friends 2000 Yamaha SX200, 2 stroke fuel injected motor. Question is, how do I remove the retainer on the top of the inpellar? I don't see any posts on here about that.....is it something that NO ONE else has had issues with? The impellar don't just slide off like every other OB on the market, it has that retainer or keeper or what ever you want to call it above it. ANY insight on this would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Mur386

Cadet
Re: Yamaha SX200 Water Pump Question

While a picture would be nice to see, if it looks like a thin pipe shell retainer with indention halfway down, I cut mine off and used a new one. Ppl with more experience may be able to get it off easily, maybe they will comment. some press fit retainers are one time use only. Good luck. ps if it has a white plastic piece underneath might want to replace that as well.
Bill

robert graham

Admiral

Go to: Yamaha Outboard Maintenance Tips Andy, for instructions with photos on several maintenance/repair procedures, including the water pumps. That retainer is a tight fitting Stainless Steel item with some spring washers under it to take out any up and down movement of the driveshaft during operation, causing a knocking sound. You can slide it up for removal, but it's mostly a replacement item with the 3 spring washers. Good Luck!:)

will941s

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the info. Can you submit a link to that tips thread? or guide me on where to go to find it?

Ldavidgrover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They are quite the challenge. I take my heat gun to it for a few seconds and pry the top ring off with a small pry bar. if that doesnt work be prepared to buy the plastic and metal collar.. P.S Wait to you get to the woodruff key

will941s

Chief Petty Officer

I got it, after prying on it for about a hour. And the key....I had to sacrifice a small flat head screwdrive to tap in there to pry it out. Needless to say, that was the absolute hardest waterpump impellar I have ever changed.

robert graham

Admiral

Glad you got it!....That learning curve on first-time projects can be tough!;)