mercruiser 3.0

weshalsall

Cadet
Here I am again with ?'s. I sold the stratos king cobra and purchased a 2005 stingray with the mercruiser alpha one 3.0. I was out today and the alt. belt broke ? is when this broke would my engine over heat it got me back to the landing and the temp was about 140 degrees normal is about 160. I lost power steering and the battery was getting low. Any comments would be helpfull.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander
Re: mercruiser 3.0

Remove the front right motor mount bolt and replace the belt and give it a shot odds are your gonna be fine but keep an eye on her especially under load. But yes it will over heat without the circulating pump belt along with your battery not charging and no power steering.

fishrdan

Admiral
Re: mercruiser 3.0

it got me back to the landing and the temp was about 140 degrees normal is about 160.

DonS (I/O guru) mentioned that an Alpha raw water pump in good condition has enough capacity to keep a 140 cool, if the circulation pump fails. I've never tested that theory, but it looks like you did. If the temp was 140 running back to the dock, I wouldn't worry about overheat damage.

Slap a new belt on it and see how it does. Better yet, while the motor mount spacer is removed, zip tie a spare belt out of the way, so if it breaks again, you have a spare strung inside the mount ready to go on the engine.