kawasaki engines

tbird175

Petty Officer 1st Class
Anyone know why John Deere is backing off on use of Kawasaki engines on lawn and garden tractors?

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer
Re: kawasaki engines

Anyone know why John Deere is backing off on use of Kawasaki engines on lawn and garden tractors?

Might be that Kawasaki has not kept up on California spec engines and JD is not willing to give up on the California market.

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

I believe your right, so they can change up and charge ya 5 times what they should cost. We`ve got a older full size JD here, I forget the # off the top of my head. I went to buy a rebuild kit for the altenator and found out the tractor wasnt made for sale here in the states. Its a european model, the only thing we can figure is it was bought in northern Mich. and maybe it made its way down from canada. Either way, if you can find parts here they are very precious on pricing.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

It seems as quite regularly, the large brand names make changes to their small engine depts. Might be someone gave them a better price on engines and parts for those engines and their contract was up with Kawasaki, to they went with another company.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

There is a thread in DSC (for some reason) about JD tractors and leaking fuel pumps.
Might be related.

bigdee

Commander

It seems as quite regularly, the large brand names make changes to their small engine depts. Might be someone gave them a better price on engines and parts for those engines and their contract was up with Kawasaki, to they went with another company.

Yup,that is the most likely reason. IMO JD isn't the praised American Company that it once was. It has gone the way of becoming a giant global outsourcer and at the same time they are using their name and past reputation to overcharge for their services.

tbird175

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the opinions. I was told by a small engine mechanic that Kawasaki is having problems with some of their engines now. This could be part of the reason for JD switching.

dolluper

Captain

jobbers can't realize a profit = dead beat forget about it

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

because Kawi changed their ratings from SAE J1940 to SAE J2723 and confused the industry.

It could also be that they are raising the price and the competitors have not. The engine is a commodity.

Laddies

Banned

Last week I kept my mouth shut but being the proud owner of a John Deere with a Kawasaki fd620 V twin can tell you that the engines had a plastic drive gear on the cam which went out taking the water pump ,some oil pumps, bent valves and the engines were built for many years after the trouble started the replacement cams have a aluminum gear which you can buy at your own cost. Of about 10 people in our area that had this problem only 1 got any warranty help. So in my opinion the junk got scrapped by John Deere Thank God.

tbird175

Petty Officer 1st Class

So, what do you think is the best engine in the16 to 23hp range?

rschap1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Onan...like the one in my OLD SCHOOL 318:)

Local dealers keep offering me a brand new 300 series for my old one.

Just keeps on going.

I know that it will need to replaced someday but I have not heard too awful much good about the Kawasaki powered 300s...with under 500 hours on my 318, deck and blower I am shopping but not too hard yet.

I will have to keep an eye on what they end up going with here.