Help. It?s a 1997 3.0lx Alpha one

ClassyBoat

Cadet
It’s a 1997 3.0lx Alpha one.

So I have been trying to troubleshoot what seems to be a fuel issue with a bout I boat a month ago. I was having trouble idling. It sometimes (most of the time)it will die if left to idle when on the water. Doesn’t do it as much on muff at home. It also seems to bog down till the engine cuts off this happens when I press the throttle. I have replaced the fuel water separator and looked at the inline fuel filter(The one that in the carb inlet) which is fine. Last night I ran a fuel pressure test multiple times. Its stays right at 5 or 6. Even when its dying. That should mean it’s not the fuel pump right? Could it still be bad gas? This is the first tank of gas of the season. My brother thought about running some SeaFoam through it. I will try that tonight. What do you guys think it could be? Is it the Carb? Or could it be a throttle issue. I like to do things myself but doubt I can repair a carb which can get expensive for someone else to rebuild.

I have Some video uploading now.
Temp Video location

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Help. It?s a 1997 3.0lx Alpha one

It could be a multitude of things from weak spark to bad gas to clogged filters. Have you done a yearly tuneup including changing the spark plugs? When was the last time that you unscrewed the fuel line going into the carb and cleaned out that filter? Both things need to be done yearly.

ClassyBoat

Cadet

I have replace the spark plugs. Cleaned out the inline filter. Replace the Fuel water filter. And completed a fuel pressure test. Check out ok.

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

Just saw that.. sorry. I would point to bad gas for now until you can eliminate that. Run that tank all the way through and replace with good gas. Go from there.

What is your idle RPM? Have you messed with your idle mix screw at all?

It could also just be a mix of a tired, old engine and a dirty carb.. I just replaced my '97 3.0LX motor with a brand new one and the difference in all aspects of running is amazing.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Another thing to check (and it is quick) is the fuel sight tube from the fuel pump to the airhorn on the carb. You can have good fuel pressure, but still have a bad / leaking diaphragm on the pump that will send gas to the airhorn and give a flooding condition (happened to me recently). My symptom was hard starting when the engine was hot because of the extra gas. New fuel pump fixed it. May not be the same issue as yours, but it is simple to check and easy to rule out. Keep us posted.

ClassyBoat

Cadet

What should i be looking for exactly. Just drips of gas or something else. I know which line your speaking of it a clear plastic tube. I'll take a look at it tonight.

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer

This does sound like it could be a carb issue if non of the items above help resolve it. They have lots of small passages in them that dont like obstrustions ( debris).

Usually a Carb cleaning requires disassembly of the carb when its removed from the engine / pay careful attention to how the parts go together / gumout jet spray to clean all passages & parts blowing compressed air through the passages -- re-assemble with new gaskets & seals. Adjustemnt of idle mixture & choke will follow assemblly.

God stuff to know how to do if your a do it yourselfer. Its likley you will use these skills more than once.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

What should i be looking for exactly. Just drips of gas or something else. I know which line your speaking of it a clear plastic tube. I'll take a look at it tonight.

In my case, it was a pulsing of fuel into the carb because of the cracked/leaking diaphram. If you have "any" fuel in the sight tube, it is cause for investigation and most likely due to a diaphragm that is failing - these are non-repairable. have to get a new pump. In my case, the pump was 22 years old and eventually, the gas was just too much for the old rubber. Like I said in the previous post, this may not be your case, but it is easy to rule out, and it may help you (or someone else) in the future, like it did for me! Good luck!

fishrdan

Admiral

It sometimes (most of the time)it will die if left to idle when on the water. Doesn’t do it as much on muff at home. It also seems to bog down till the engine cuts off this happens when I press the throttle.

The engine has more back pressure on the water, so idle problems will become worse. The engine bogging when the throttle is pushed, is a bad accelerator pump in the carb, time for a carb rebuild. Rebuilding one isn't terribly hard if you are mechanically inclined, but you need to be meticulous to make sure it's cleaned well and everything is installed to spec. Then, adjusted properly once on the engine, and fine tuned once in the water and the engine is warmed up.

After the engine has been running a bit and you are sure the carb is full of fuel, turn the engine off, remove the spark arrestor, look down the carb, have someone push the throttle full down from idle and see if there are 2 nice steady streams of fuel that shoot out, into the carb. No fuel shooting out, weak or unequal streams means the accelerator pump is bad.