318 with dana 90 noise

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
I have a 69 model dana 90 with a squeal in reverse. Forward is quiet. Drives were serviced earlier this year. Ran 25 miles to dock with no problems. Sat idle until this week. Anyone experienced this?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 318 with dana 90 noise

I have a 69 model dana 90 with a squeal in reverse. Forward is quiet. Drives were serviced earlier this year. Ran 25 miles to dock with no problems. Sat idle until this week. Anyone experienced this?

Ayuh,.... Donno,... I've got a pair of 'em, 'n never tried to run 'em yet....

Have yer's got the hyd. clutch on the motor, 'n the shiftin' in the top of the drive,..??
Checkin' the oil is probably outa the question, eh,..??
Can you get right down in there, 'n isolate Exactly what's Squealin',..?? Are ya Sure it's the Drive,..??

I'm sure I've got some documentation somewhere on 'em,...
Only had 'em apart, Once, 6 years ago....

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I got down there today and checked the oil. Kinda fun with a swim platform right over it. No oil showed on my homemade dipstick. The quiet drive showed full. Mine have the hyd. clutch with the shifter on the drive. What a weird setup eh? Would you happen to know what oil they take? I would love to find a manual on this unit.

Bondo

Staff member

I got down there today and checked the oil. Kinda fun with a swim platform right over it. No oil showed on my homemade dipstick. The quiet drive showed full. Mine have the hyd. clutch with the shifter on the drive. What a weird setup eh? Would you happen to know what oil they take? I would love to find a manual on this unit.

Ayuh,.... 90W HP Hypoid oil... 'bout the same as any other drive.... Alot of it,...Seems I remember 6 or 8 qts...

Maybe it was 2 or 3 qts... Alot by outdrive standards...

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

If you look round in the boat you buy you might find some documentation like I did today. I was 2 qt low of lube. Quiet as a church mouse now. Thanks for the help. I am grateful.