Need help deciding on a used boat

Hi, i am new to this site and found a 2002 searay and a 2002 glastron for sale around my area

Searay: 2002 SEA RAY 17.6 BOW RIDER TOTAL REBUILD ON MERC 3.0 ENGINE NEW LOWEER UNIT BOOT(ALL PAPERWORK INCLUDED)
ENGINE HAS LESS THAN 10 HOURS ON REBUILD SHORELANDER TRAILER NEW BEMINI TOP $6,000.00

Glastron: 2002 Glastron SX-175 17.5'
Volvo Penta 135hp
Full cover
Bimini top
New Radio/CD/MP3 player
6700 obo

this is all of the information provided for the two boats and i was wondering if you guys can help a noobie out with deciding on a boat. Uses will be mostly 50% tubing 50% fishing

thanks

BonairII

Commander
Re: Need help deciding on a used boat

I'd be worried that the motor has only 10hours on the rebuild. Why is the owner selling right after he paid to have it rebuilt?

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I'd be worried that the motor has only 10hours on the rebuild. Why is the owner selling right after he paid to have it rebuilt?

My guess is that he rebuilt the motor so he COULD sell it. A couple grand for a new one and his boat is now worth something. In this market a non-running boat is practically worthless and very hard to sell at all.

My .02

this will be my first boat and i know very little about them. i was a little sketchy about the recent rebuild as well which is why any suggestions would be appreciated.

so all and all, the searay would be a more reliable boat since there are little hours since the rebuild if nothing else is wrong with it. which boat would you guys side for?

The Famous Grouse

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is no way to tell with the given information.

Condition is EVERYTHING when it comes to boats. Boats are not like cars, where generally with a given age and mileage, a reliable average price can be established. With boats, there are many factors and some are difficult to quantify until you have a lot of experience and know it when you see it.

Both of those boats could be fantastic deals or they could be horrible avoid-at-all-costs. There is no way to tell from only a description.

My advice would be to look at both of these boats in person, take your own pictures and then decide if YOU think they are worth fruther consideration. Trust your gut, if they feel wrong, walk away.

Then, BEFORE you strike a deal, find a marine mechanic to look over the one you chose.

Grouse

Philster

Captain

Find out why the engine was rebuilt. Was it a leaky exhaust that caused water intrusion, and the exhaust is still suspect?

What is "new lower unit boot"?