Grease Fittings 1959 5.5HP & 1958 10HP Johnson Seahorse

kmk89

Seaman
I have two Johnson Outboards, one a 1959 5.5HP and the other a 1958 10HP. I got them both running again with help from the iboats forum. It looks like they have some sort of grease fittings to regrease the motor in certain places. Does anyone know if Johnson requires some special tool or adaptor to regrease the motor through these fittings? I've never seen fittings like this before. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Grease Fittings 1959 5.5HP & 1958 10HP Johnson Seahorse

A standard grease gun will work on them (in most cases). When the motors were new, we sold grease guns that had a rubber seat that you pressed against the cast fitting. But as I said, a standard gun will work too. There also are needle tip grease guns made for chainsaws that can be used. But try the standard first. If it doesn't work, look for the chainsaw one.

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Grease Fittings 1959 5.5HP & 1958 10HP Johnson Seahorse

the little red plastic tube that comes with the spray lubes fits right down in those holes, I have found some very good spray lubes made for salt water application, LIKE crc-marine 6-56 I now prefer them over the grease. I give the holes a shot or 2 every other flush.