Need Help on a motor

1986bassbuggy$@

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I found a older johnson Javelin one hundred that I want to purchase, it was running when it was parked but that has been some years ago!!Me

Iam new to outboards can anyone tell me what possible year this motor is and is it a 2 stroke or 4???

I do not need another anchor and since iam new to outboards what are some things I can do to make sure it's not a motor on it's last leg or bad other than see if it will try to turn over?
Please help me out guys, the boat I just bought used threw a rod the second time out and Iam trying to see the silver lining in this situation by purchasing this motor.
Thanks,
Stephen

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need Help on a motor

"Ran the last time it was used". That's a standing joke among old outboard people. Whatever, if it has been sitting for a long time it is going to need some work and money. Is the motor complete? That means all the controls and electrical hookup. You can spend a bunch of $$$ there too.

It really would help if you were to come up with a model number so we know what we are discussing here. Some old motors can be mighty expensive to ressurrect.

Hey, you are the buyer. If the seller doesn't want to cooperate with numbers and inspections, walk away---fast.

1986bassbuggy$@

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well i know the guy personally that Im buying it from it was his grandpa's and he parked it in good condition and had problems with his legs so he stopped using the boat it sat in a garage and just got moved out to the elements of weather about 4 months ago is there a amatures checklist if you would that anybody could maybe write to check?? lol i know this may seem silly but other than putting water to it and 12v power to crank it how could i tell if it is in fact a 2 or 4 stroke srry just don't know:facepalm:

nwcove

Admiral

its a two stroke and possibly a 24:1 mix.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Most of the Javelin 100s are 1970s motors, but post a model number and we can verify.

As Frank stated, "Ran last time it was used" means diddly unless the last time was yesterday. :) If "last time" was 10 years ago, expect a full tune up. Things like water pump and carb clean/rebuild will be a must.

Some things to check:

Visual inspection of condition/wire rot/corrosion/missing pieces
Compression
Spark
Gearcase fluid (both fior water and metal shavings)

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Need a model # :) It's on the transom mount. Also, do you have pics?

1986bassbuggy$@

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here are some pics:

imagejpeg_2_2.jpgimagejpeg_2_3.jpgimagejpeg_2_4.jpgimagejpeg_2_5.jpgimagejpeg_2_6.jpg

Is there anything on the motor that would be a tell tell sign of a 2stroke?

1986bassbuggy$@

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I can have a model # or serial # tomorrow going to go look at it first though,will post more pics of that then should i try to run any kind of gas through it???? or atleast squirt some in the carbs, and how much would it cost to rebuild the water pump?

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

It's a 2-stroke... that requires 50:1 mix ratio.

Looks pretty clean...probably a good runner.

Mas

BonairII

Commander

Probably a good idea to change ALL fuel lines. The old ones will start coming apart internally and foul your carbs.

1986bassbuggy$@

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well tried to start it today but they lost the key to the control box i used jumper cables and put 12v to the starter and the starter would just spin and not engage,lol so i finally got it to engage and the motor was like it didn't have enough power to turn it over i was spinning but very very slow??????? figured battery prob lost some its charge over night. Does this sound like something internal with the motor or just low voltage.

This is the Model #J100TRLC5C
and Serial # J5321527

1986bassbuggy$@

Petty Officer 3rd Class

And I could here the motor making compression through the exhaust if it helps

nwcove

Admiral

actual comp numbers are what tells the tale.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Hard to jump it with booster cables, which Im assuming you are using, on these bigger motors. Lose alot of voltge through the teeth.

1986bassbuggy$@

Petty Officer 3rd Class

well yes and no i put the 12v positive straight to the starter and used the motor for the ground, does anybody know what the comp number should be around???

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I would assume you should be in the 100-140 psi range. Main thing is the difference between cylinders. They should not be more than 10% difference

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

If your battery is good the starter might not be.

AlTn

Commander

model no. J100TRLCSC translates to a 1980 100 hp. < the 5 is probably an S >, to get an idea of what component parts cost to replace go to marineengine.com and check...you know once it leaves that boat it's your baby and it's best to check everything possible before purchasing...if it can't demonstrated to run, it's best to consider it a parts donor and make an offer based on that

1986bassbuggy$@

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Will the motor still make correct comp numbers with the starter dragging like that?