1987 OMC Cobra outdrive lower unit cracked. Fixable?

t-swans6

Cadet
I posted a question earlier about a bayliner that I got from a friend that didn't winterize it this last winter about the block being cracked just below the intake manifold. Well upon further inspection I have found that the lower unit has a sizeable crack just below the water intake which then leaked out all the lower unit gear oil. My question is, would that even be repairable since there are two cavaties right next to each other, the lower unit oil and where the water is? Also now that I have multiple cracks in different places, are there any other spots that are prone to cracking if not winterized properly? I am really thinking about just cutting my losses now and selling it. Any thoughts?

perna00

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1987 OMC Cobra outdrive lower unit cracked. Fixable?

It sounds like you should try to part it out to recoupe your money. If just the drive casing is bad, you could sell the internal parts individually and probably get a decent used lower unit for about the same price.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

check ebay and craigslist for a lower.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Its a Bayliner and an OMC and the OMC has a bad engine and drive. Me thinks that's a sign!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

My question is, would that even be repairable since there are two cavaties right next to each other, the lower unit oil and where the water is? Also now that I have multiple cracks in different places, are there any other spots that are prone to cracking if not winterized properly? I am really thinking about just cutting my losses now and selling it. Any thoughts?

The drive is pretty much junk. you'll need to replace at least the "lower".

The engine is junk and must be replaced (at least the block).

The cost to do the above might be more than the value after you're done.......

If you didn't pay anything for it, and you "junk" it out, you're only "out" the the disposal costs. (minus what ever you get for selling usable parts)

You could also pull the engine, transom and drive and replace with Mercruiser/Volvo...(used or new)....or another OMG Cobra eng/drive :eek:.......

BUT, after you do any of the above, will the boat be worth as much (to you) as it costs to do the job?

Good luck.....

Rick