Need some advice on seal kits for Alpha 1

Evil Eagle

Cadet
Hey guys, I am trying to order the parts for my stern drive here on iboats, but before I ordered I was hoping someone could confirm these kits have what I need. I will be replacing the seals in my lower unit because I found oil in my drive bellow. I will be doing a water pump, and changing my bellows while I am in there. BTW its a 84 3.0l Alpha One

I have this out drive set
Part # 18-2619-1D

This lower seal set, but it looks like its got some of the same seals as the water pump kit.
Part # 18-2652

This upper set
Part #18-2648

I'm also replacing the short yoke because I figure the seal wore into it. I got my Seloc manual today and was disapointed that it didn't have any part numbers for the seals, hence why I am asking here. I'm hoping these kits will cover any seals I need. Thanks for any help guys.

cr2k

Captain
Re: Need some advice on seal kits for Alpha 1

Seloc manual may help if you need something to stand on. Some seal kits will overlap seals do to tear down needed.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Just my 2 cents... go to the top of the mercruiser forum section (the one you are in now) to the "stickies" and download all the free manuals you can for your boat. I am sure some of the other guys can chime in and give the links to the places to get the "right information" for your drive and engine. I have not heard very much good press for the seloc manuals. Also, check out some of the parts websites like www.crowleymarine.com and/or mercruiserparts.com. You put in your drive info and up comes a really nice exploded drawing of your drive, complete with part numbers. You can either order there, or use those numbers in other sites. I have gotten many parts from many different online sources (to save money), including amazon.com (stuff like gaskets, filters, oils, etc), which in a lot of cases give customer reviews of those parts. Hope that helps. Cant stress getting the free OEM manuals on line enough. Download them and then you can print out the pages you need. Best of luck. KTB.
ALso...hope you are mechanically inclined...some of the things your are talking about doing are not for the faint of heart (although not at all out of the question)(like bellows changeout....do you really need to do that?). And upper drive seals can be tricky, so ask for and get the good advice on here.... And take pictures to share. We love pictures! (and helps the very knowledgeable to peer check you on your intentions.).

Evil Eagle

Cadet

Just my 2 cents... go to the top of the mercruiser forum section (the one you are in now) to the "stickies" and download all the free manuals you can for your boat. I am sure some of the other guys can chime in and give the links to the places to get the "right information" for your drive and engine. I have not heard very much good press for the seloc manuals. Also, check out some of the parts websites like www.crowleymarine.com and/or mercruiserparts.com. You put in your drive info and up comes a really nice exploded drawing of your drive, complete with part numbers. You can either order there, or use those numbers in other sites. I have gotten many parts from many different online sources (to save money), including amazon.com (stuff like gaskets, filters, oils, etc), which in a lot of cases give customer reviews of those parts. Hope that helps. Cant stress getting the free OEM manuals on line enough. Download them and then you can print out the pages you need. Best of luck. KTB.
ALso...hope you are mechanically inclined...some of the things your are talking about doing are not for the faint of heart (although not at all out of the question)(like bellows changeout....do you really need to do that?). And upper drive seals can be tricky, so ask for and get the good advice on here.... And take pictures to share. We love pictures! (and helps the very knowledgeable to peer check you on your intentions.).

Well that sucks about the manual, wish I had known that before spending the money. The drive bellows look weather cracked, the boat sits on a lift year round, and the prior owner didn't cover the outdrive. As for being mechanically inclined, I have enough hours for an associates in auto mechanics but decided it was the wrong career choice for me because my love is modifying cars, not fixing them. Haha.