Is it big enough?

ouachita57

Cadet
Ive have the opportunity to buy a late 50s wooden boat thats in great shape at a good price.. It doesnt have an engine.. It is made to run an outboard.. I have a 58 Evinrude Fastwin18 but is it enough to push the weight of the wood?.. A little info on the boat its a 15ft vhull runabout and its Mahogony..

nwcove

Admiral
Re: Is it big enough?

i would think you would get up and plane off no problem, but if your looking for 30mph i doubt it will happen.

Willyclay

Captain

I might just hold off and find an aluminum closed bow

Why not get the wooden boat also and then shop for a 1950's-1960's JohnnyRude 35 or 40HP motor. The Multiple Boat Syndrome is an easy itch to scratch. Good luck and let us know what you do!

ouachita57

Cadet

I restore things in general as a hobby. I've restored several farm tractors, 2 or 3 60s semi trucks, a few cars and so forth. I had never restored an outboard and I ran across this 58 Fastwin 18 that I have now and surprisingly it was an easy restore. I converted it to run off of a pulse type fuel pump and I'm looking for a boat to go with the motor. As backwards as that may seem. I'm not necessarily looking to get into collecting boats as a hobby. I live in North Georgia on Lake Lanier and I thought it would be a fun summer toy and a head turner to have an antique boat on the water to cruise around in as I haven't seen many around here.. Thanks for all of the advice..

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

sounds like the rig my dad had when I was little. Back then, they ran smaller motors (relative to boat length) than we do now. So I think the 18 HP on a vintage 15' boat would be right for an original package. Maybe you can look at soem old literature or ads on line to see what they matched that hull with.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Why not get the wooden boat also and then shop for a 1950's-1960's JohnnyRude 35 or 40HP motor. The Multiple Boat Syndrome is an easy itch to scratch. Good luck and let us know what you do!

That's a better idea. I had a '59 18 rude (had the black where yours has white on the cowl and prop). It would push a 14' wooden rental boat at a pretty good clip. Later I got a 14' wooden boat and I water ski'd behind it when I was a teen. It was not stellar, but I was able to get up on 2 skis (finally after a long pull) and have some fun.

I'm going to say that 20-22 is a no brainer with a light load and reasonably light boat. Buttttt the bigger engine would provide you with much more flexibility and sooner or later you WILL want that.

HTH,
Mark

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Probably need a more detailed description of the boat.Is it fully equipped with a steering wheel windshield full seats with backs
The 18 was rated at 27 mph on a light reasonably fast boat.We had a big 15ft kit boat runabout with a very flat V bottom.
It would occasionally make an indicated 26 under just the right conditions.your actual speed would depend on the actual hull shape.
A rounded shape will be smoother but slower. a broad flatish bottom harsher but likely faster.
The boat should perform fine and a 15 foot should carry weight better than a smaller boat.
The 18 is a nice size relatively light but powerful enough for most activities.

ouachita57

Cadet

Its a runabout.. It has a sharp v in the front and a flatter back.. It has duel wooden bench seats, a windshield, a wooden dash with cable steering. Its a closed bow of coarse and it has a slat floor.. All the wood is Mahogony.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

A 15' wood boat would typically run about 300 lbs. It would likely be rated for about 25 HP. That 18 will do just fine.

ouachita57

Cadet

Im not wanting to set a speed record I just dont wanna have to pull over and let the sailboats by. Haha

ouachita57

Cadet

Im not wanting to set a speed record I just dont want to have to pull over and let the sailboats by. Haha

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

You just nailed it. Having remote steering up front WILL make all the difference in that rig. Go for it.
Mark

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Wood is a natural material for boats.It is strong light and guiet.
Penn Yan built car top models that at 12' rated for 5 hp were 67 lbs. There was a 2.5 hp at 57 lbs
On any wood boat check the transom where it meets the boat. And the stem.
Ribs sometimes rot where they get wet and dry over the years.Look under the slatted floor.
Sure "wood" be nice to see some pics.

HANGEYE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Back in the 60s my father had a 14' Thompson wood boat with a 12hp Sea King tiller. Dad didn't like the leaks from time to time so he fiberglassed the hull. Made it pretty heavy. It wasn't a speedster but it got on plane with no problem with me and dad in it. I have no idea what the top speed was but we were going fishing, not racing. I would think that your 18hp will do just fine. Enjoy.