Cadet
0.jpg
Looking for some input on a boat I am thinking about purchasing. The listing
price is $2,000. I was told it is a 1972 Chrysler Sport Satellite with a 55hp
Chrysler outboard that has been stored indoors but barley used the last few
years. After examining everything it appears that the transom and body are very
solid but I have some questions and concerns that I am hoping you can help me
work through:

#1) The floor was re-carpeted a few years ago but appears to be a little soft in
spots. It doesn't feel like I am going to bust through it but I am hoping
someone could comment on the cost/effort of replacing it?

#2) The gauges don't appear to be working. Does anyone have know a source for
replacement parts?

#3) The transom skirt and bow cushions are missing? I know this is cosmetic but
again does anyone have a source for parts I would like to keep things original
if I can.

#4) This is a small boat but do you think it would be able to pull a skier or
tuber?

#5) I would like to fish out of this boat as well but it is not set up for that
at all... are there any removable pedestal seats that might work for the back
and/or bow? Or am dreaming too big and I asking too much of this boat?

#6) Is $2,000 a fair price? And is there anything I should be looking for or
inspecting when I go to look at it again?

I grew up in Minnesota and have been on the water and around boats my whole life
but this will be my first boat so any help or insight you can provide would be
appreciated.

Thanks,

Shaun

(I did post this in the Chrysler Forum as well, but I was hoping to get some more insight from the general iBoats population. I appologize in advance if this is frowned upon.)

coastalrichard

Lieutenant
Re: Chrysler Sport Satellite - To Buy or Not To Buy

ummmm...40 yrs old, soft spots on the deck.......RUN AWAY!

There's only one reason for a deck to have soft spots, that's rot. It MIGHT just be localized, but generally once you start seeing rot anywhere it's everywhere. You very well might be getting into replacing stringers and ultimately the transom very soon.

Iboats sells gauges from most major manufacturers, as do several other online retailers. Search around.

That boat ought to be able to pull a tube or skier on 2 skis. As far as pulling up a slalom skier it might have trouble depending on the skiers' experience.

Another issue is going to be obtaining parts for that engine.

Personally, I'd pass on that particular boat.

Maclin

Admiral

Wow, that is EXACTLY my first boat. I pulled two light skiers on two skis each with it a couple of times, mostly just one skier on 2 skis. I think I had just an 11p, maybe a 10.5p prop. It would not quite hit 30. I at the time was 250lb and it could pull me up on a slalom, but it was a WIDE ski and it took a LONG time. Lighter skiers could pop up pretty good. We knee-boarded a lot with that boat.

If it was closer to me I would maybe make a move on it, Man, I loved that boat so maybe I am not the one to listen to!

Maclin

Admiral

There was one around here that sold last week for $1800 or so. it was not as nice as what your pic shows. I thought it was high, but it was already gone before I could make an offer.

The boat can take a 70hp and that would be better than a 55hp, but all of my experiences were with a 55hp and it was ok, just 4 people max with gear, that kind of thing.

southkogs

Staff member

It might not be a bad project to get hold of, but I don't think I'd spend $2k on it. Might pass on it for now and watch a little while and see if the seller comes off their price a little.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

There's only one reason for a deck to have soft spots, that's rot. It MIGHT just be localized, but generally once you start seeing rot anywhere it's everywhere. You very well might be getting into replacing stringers and ultimately the transom very soon.

Agree. If you're looking to do a full-scale restoration on it, then okay... but not at $2K with an old Chrysler motor hanging on it. If it were me, I'd be taking coastalrichard's advice... run away!

My .02

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I had a '71 16' Sport Fury. Same boat as that, just a notch larger. Initially I had the '71 55hp as is on this boat you are considering, and being less that I desired traded up to the 85hp 3 cyl. I am not going to go into a lot of detail, but I think you could do a lot better for several reasons. Additionally, if you feel soft spots run as has been advised.

So my $$$$$$$$ senario was '71 early in season 16' boat and 55hp engine. Mid season traded "used now" 55 hp in on a "New" 85. Next year traded whole shebang in on a New 18' Caravelle tri-hull with a Johnson 125. Kept that boat for a lotta years. Must have been worth keeping.

HTH,
Mark