Adding key switch to old outboard

nhblock

Seaman Apprentice
I recently purchased a 1966 Sears/McCullogh "Ted Williams" 7.5 outboard as detailed here. Problem is, there is no security on these old outboards to keep someone from hopping in and driving away.

So, I bought this key switch to replace the momentary stop button. My plan is to replace the stop button with this switch. In the "locked" position, the circuit will be normally closed (the position that kills the motor under the current stop-button regime), and then in the "unlocked" position, the circuit will be open, so I can fire it up under normal operation (how it works now).

My question is: is keeping the circuit closed over a long period of time a bad thing for the motor's electrical system? This is akin to holding down the stop button for 12-24 hours.

Below are pictures of the stop button, the key switch, and a schematic of how the stop button on how 60s-era stop buttons are wired (from here).

ORH5Eh.jpgstopbutton.jpg31osawAL2UL._SL500_AA300_.jpgkillorbekilled01.jpg

kfa4303

Banned
Re: Adding key switch to old outboard

HI nh. I realize this is may be a bit late, but what I've done with all my vintage motors is install push-button lanyard kill switch. Not only does it replace the factory push button kill feature, it also gives you extra added safety should you fall out of the boat AND when you park the boat you simply pull the lanyard out and leave it wrapped around your wrist and voila!, the motor is left in the "kill" position and only you have the "key" (the lanyard). Best of all, it can be installed in about 5 min., only costs about $10, and if you loose your key/lanyard replacements can be had at any wal-mart. Here are some pics.

lableled outboard.jpgkicker rack 2.jpg

lanyard kill switch.jpg

NYBo

Admiral

Not a bad idea. Holding the button down would be highly deleterious- to the finger doing the pushing. I can't see how your plan would hurt the electricals in any way.

Adding a lanyard kill switch is also a good idea in addition to the key switch.

nhblock

Seaman Apprentice

The key switch came in today so I decided to tear into the cowl and install the switch. This is in conjunction with my temporary plastic repairs to the cowl (which I will eventually cast into a mold and replacing with a fiberglass copy).

Pretty straightforward -- 3/4" paddle drill bit went straight through the plastic. Then an 1/8" o-ring for a decent seal, then screwed the switch in to place. I'll solder on the wires tomorrow when I can go back to the hardware store and get some quick-disconnect connectors so the cowl isn't permanently wired to the motor.

DSCN1750.jpgDSCN1752.jpgDSCN1753.jpgDSCN1755.jpg

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You do realize that one only needs to pull the cowl, pull the wires and off they go with your boat. But chances arte they will make off with the motor rather than the entire boat.

kfa4303

Banned

I think Silvertip is right. If someone were to remove the cowl and disconnect the wires the circuit would be in the "unlocked"/open configuration which would allow the motor to be started and run. That's the beauty of the lanyard is that it's default position (w/out lanyard) is in the depressed, closed circuit configuration, which essentially makes the motor inoperable until the lanyard in installed and holds/pulls the button into the open config. Not to mention the fact that it is virtually all plastic and therefore corrosion resistant and you don't have to worry about loosing a particular key that is specific to your starter. It also offers a level of safety unavailable in your current set up, and should you loose your lanyard, replacements are readily available at any Wal-mart/boating supply store.

nhblock

Seaman Apprentice

Good tips, Silvertip and kfa. I'll look into the dead mans lanyard for safety.

It's certainly not foolproof -- anyone who wants to steal an outboard can, no matter what security measures you take. Hopefully this basic measure will keep away the dumbest of criminals, which I think is most of them.