Fuel gauge stuck on Full.

toddbrown

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My fuel gauge is stuck on full and I was wondering how I can fix it? Also, would aftermarket gauges fit in the holes of my dash? I have a 1998 Bayliner Capri 1850. Thanks!

kwoolard

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Fuel gauge stuck on Full.

Check your ground connection on the fuel gauge and at the sender. It sounds like a bad sender to me or a short to ground. Check your sending unit with an ohm meter, should be operating between 33-240 ohms. <br /><br />As for an aftermarket gauge, not sure about what gauges are installed in your boat, but I would imagine they should fit. Take a look at Teleflex or Faria websites for the particular gauges you want and double check the dimensions of the hole cutout compared to what you currenlty have.

toddbrown

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry to sound stupid, but were is would the sending unit be located?

kwoolard

Chief Petty Officer

You should have a couple of access hatches or holes on the boat deck just above the fuel tank(depending on where you're tank is at). One should be for the fill hose and the other for the sending unit. The sending unit will have wires running to it. It is bolted to the top of the tank with approx 6 screws. Check the resistance from the center terminal to a good ground source(typically the tank if it is grounded).

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

kwoolard-<br />I have a similar problem with my fuel gauge except that it "works" erratically, sometimes full, half, etc. no real pattern. I am thinking either the ground or the unit itself is full of gunk in the tank and needs to be replaced.<br />The sending unit has one wire that is on a terminal and the terminal is loose, no way to tighten it to the base. Any suggestions?

kwoolard

Chief Petty Officer

Joe, what happens to the fuel gauge needle if you make a good connection with that terminal? You also may want to check you're connections on the back of the gauge.

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

Its hard to tell if the connection is any good because the connector pin on the top of the sender moves -like the rivet or whatever its on is loose so I question the connection itself.<br />I want to rule that out as the cause before I pull the whole sender and replace it.<br /><br />i will look at the connections on the back of the gauge. later on today.<br /><br />thanks to tommays for the info too, a big help in understanding how to troubleshoot. should be on the faq page I think!<br />Joe