Shore power upgrade

Greg68S

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1989 Thompson 245 Carrera. It doesn't have shore power. But I do run twin yellow optima batteries and a pro mariner 39amp charger. What I want to do is make it easier to connect to my slips power supply. I want to install a shore power inlet on to the stern of my boat. From this inlet I want to power my charger and I want to run a single line into the cabin to a GFI receptacle. Am I on the right track by keeping it that simple? I figure this way I can use an actual shore power cable vs an outdoor extension cord.

Last edited:

Greg68S

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Shore power upgrade

All that for only 1 outlet that seems like a lot of work. Do I need to tie into thcurrent 12 volt system or can I leave it separate?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

One outlet or a hundred -- doesn't matter to electricity. It will bite you done incorrectly.

Greg68S

Petty Officer 1st Class

Would the best place to put a breaker or 2 be in the cabin?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Breakers go into entrance panels so the entrance panel needs to be protected from weather and wherever you can route the service entrance wires to the external shore power connection. That panel then has a MAIN breaker that kills everything powered from that panel. The branch circuits each have their own breaker. Have you ever done any AC wiring? No disrespect but I get the feeling you are a bit over your head with this and should get some help from someone with marine power systems. Failure to do this correctly may kill you or a passenger.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

+1 above. Not only that, but marine 110v electrical has different electrical codes then household wiring.

Greg68S

Petty Officer 1st Class

thank you everyone for your concern. I have many years of experience with AC electrical. I own several rental units and have been my own contractor for many years as well. I like to ask questions as if I have no real knowledge. I get more answers that I would not normally get. Such as the idea that my drive will dissolve through electrolysis. Tell me more about this electrolysis. I also need to know about grounding. My guess is the electrolysis may be linked to how the system is grounded. I have a 30amp breaker panel with 3 additional 15 amp breakers. I will most likely put my inlet on the port side, that way it will be a short feed to the main panel. As far as grounding goes, where or how should the system be grounded to avoid electrolysis? I will be running one outlet, my battery charger and possibly a set of lights. I will not be running an inverter.

Greg68S

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you have a direct website for the NEC diagrams? I definitely want to give them a look.

vincechig1975

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check out Blue Sea Systems , they have a multitude of devices and accessories and diagrams and 24 tech support as well to help with issues