Setup suggestions...

silkstringz

Cadet
Gonna throw some numbers at ya so bare with me. 97' Javelin SE 18.75in. (dry weight is 1450), Johnson 150 FastStrike....No JackPlate. 4 blade Renegade prop, 25 pitch.

Ok, so im going to assume my tach and speedometer are off, which I hear speedometers usually are. I took a picture on my phone of the speedometer reading 67-68mph. Tach reading 5800. It was only me and a quarter tank of gas, no cargo. The boat really wants to "chinewalk" as well once Im FT.

Can I get more out of it?

What would a JackPlate do for me? (4, 6, 10inch???) 3 Blade props? Pitch? etc.

Top Speed is goal. Boat is super quick to plane and the strongest running motor ive owned.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Setup suggestions...

You are about running perfect and at the max speed unless you change your hull.

Sounds like a great setup and chine walking is just annoying and dangerous

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Calculator and I agree with Bob. I think your boat is trying to tell you that. At that speed and "really wanting to chine walk"
A fun ride could turn into tragedy real fast.You should be wearing a pfd and a killswitch lanyard.
The guys at scream and fly may have some suggestions to stabilize the boat and maybe add speed though on that boat
your probably there.

silkstringz

Cadet

Calculator and I agree with Bob. I think your boat is trying to tell you that. At that speed and "really wanting to chine walk"
A fun ride could turn into tragedy real fast.You should be wearing a pfd and a killswitch lanyard.
The guys at scream and fly may have some suggestions to stabilize the boat and maybe add speed though on that boat
your probably there.

Im really just concerned with it running that many RPMs. Do yall think it will turn a 26inch raker? been thinkin about trying one. Wouldn't that technically bring my RPMs down? and would I need to lower or raise my motor at all? Id like to get in the 5500 rpm range. Kind of afraid at running it at 5800

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Can't speak directly to the Raker but yes a 1" increase could reduce rpm up to 200.
If you go with a 3 blade the rpm could be a wash.