Engine hatch wont' stay up...

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Hi all,

The engine hatch on my (new to me) '97 I/O bowrider won't stay up. The hatch is upholstered, about 4' wide and 15" deep, and it currently has two gas springs that say they are rated at 40 lbs.

I can't tell if these gas springs have given up the ghost and should be replaced or if the previous owner installed under-powered spring. If the latter is the case, I would need to select more powerful springs. I haven't removed the hatch and weighed it or anything, and if possible, I'd rather not...

Do two 40 lb. gas struts seem like they should do the job, or should I look at heavier-duty springs, like maybe 50 lbs.? Any downside to using the 50s (e.g., the hatch unexpectedly flying open at speed? launching small sunbathing children off the boat?)?

Thanks!

belleview3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Engine hatch wont' stay up...

If the springs are original, they are probably weak. Try this, unhook /remove the springs from the cover and lift the hatch manually. Does it feel like you're lifting 50 - 60 #'s? You be the judge. Without knowing the make and model, no one can be sure. Post the info and maybe a few pics. You may get someone with the same boat / experience & advise.
I'd be surprised if 50 #'ers would be an issue. But if you can launch the kids, then you will be the coolest dad on the water.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

It's common for those to fail by leaking from any number of causes. I recommend replacing both to prevent twisting of the cover if one were to have more lift than the other. Somewhere in the manual it should state what lb. is recommended. 40# could very well be correct. You'll be able to tell if they're weak as belleview#3 stated, by removing and applying the rated lbs. of pressure.

fishrdan

Admiral

97' would have the gas springs at 14 years old... I'd just replace them with the same 40# gas springs as that seems adequate to support a 4' wide, 15" panel.

Try this, unhook /remove the springs from the cover and lift the hatch manually. Does it feel like you're lifting 50 - 60 #'s? You be the judge.

He would need to measure the weight/pressure at the gas spring's attachment point, closer to the hinge equals greater force.

UncleWillie

Captain

If you want to know if the 40# springs are still 40# ...

Compress them against a bathroom scale and see how much they push back.
They are not known to be precision devises so anything from 35 to 45 can be called 40. :D

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

I am doubtful your hatch weighs more than 80 pounds. Those struts do get weak with age and there is a good chance they are original. I would just go ahead and replace them. You could step up to a higher rated strut without trouble but I don't think it's necessary. If you really want to make sure befor you buy new ones prop the hatch up and disconnect one and compress it. I bet you can do so easily and if you can than you know it's blown. If it has resistance than consider larger struts.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

If there's room to mount the bottom of them lower, you can get longer struts that will you allow you to open the hatch up further (the increase in extra opening is equal to the space available to mount the bottoms lower) . I did that with my boat's sunpad and it allows much better access to the storage area under it (and on top of the engine hatch).

hnt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I replaced mine on my 1996 Pursuit Denali with the same rating as the originals. They work perfect now FYI

scrit9mm

Chief Petty Officer

I had a similar problem last year. I went to the local auto parts store with one in hand, matched up the length, bought two and they work fine. I think they were 15-18 bucks each.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

OK, I was fiddlin' in the engine compartment tonight and twice the dang thing slipped out of my hand and rapped me on the head. I've ordered new gas springs and I'll just assume they were sized correctly.

In a related story, I think I've come up with a name for the boat: "That's gonna leave a mark!"

:D

Mikeyboy

Chief Petty Officer

I'm sure they were probably the right ones and just worn out. Love the name idea though lol.