Still not Completly happy w/prop..

bbfrs1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 90 Bayliner Br1800 powered by a 85 115hp Johnson. The prop I am currently using is 13.75x15 Turning point Hustler. It pushes my boat at around 33mph at 5600rpm. Which is ok for me. I chose this prop because of the wanted faster holeshot and pulling power. I love it other than the blowout. I have to slow completely down and have trim all the way down to make a sharp turn. So do you think I could get the same holeshot and pulling power with a 4 blade 17p prop. I was looking at the Solas Amita. I was told by going to one of these I would get a little more top end, and have the same if not better holeshot and would dramatically reduce the blowout. However this all sounds too good to be true...:confused:

sublauxation

Lieutenant
Re: Still not Completly happy w/prop..

Getting the right prop can be a pain can't it! My bet would be that a 15P amita 4 blade would be better than a 17 if 5600 RPMs is the correct target range. My experience with a Hustler is that it acts a little bigger than it's stated pitch. Others have had the same results. Adding another blade will decrease RPMs a bit so that would/should make that a wash in going to the 4 blade Amita. I had some blow out with my Hustler prop and it was fixed by going to a stainless prop though I'm still looking at possibly doing the same as you (a 4 blade Amita). Another option would be to lower the outboard one notch if that's an option and keeping the Hustler.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If your having blowout/ventilation with a Hustler prop I would suspect your setup.
Also your slip is a little high could also be an indication of your motor being too high or maybe something on the bottom or back of the boat disturbing the water ahead of the prop.Before a prop change you may want to lower the motor one hole.
Typical maximum height is the antivent(cavitation) plate about an inch above the bottom of the transom.

bbfrs1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I checked my setup out. I have about 1 3/8" to bottom of a/c plate. I can drop it 1 more hole but I think my steering linkage will hit on the bottom of hole in boat where it goes in. I also have Naticus? ST trim tabs, could that possibly be a problem. Maybe they are set to strong. Should I try dropping it and see if I can make it work. Or maybe I should just suck it up and quit complaining. Unfortunately I'm a little OCD and have problems with things like this.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Rule of thumb when going from 3 to 4 blades is either drop and inch in diameter or an inch in pitch. A 4 will get you better stern lift in most cases and hold better in rough water but not necessarily in a tight turn. Trimming down and throttling down through the first 1/2 of the turn and then powering out during the last half is a technique that worked for me when I had the problem. That was a Merc 115 on a 18' boat. The problem went completely away when I put the 150 on it. Must have been the extra 100lbs of weight.

bbfrs1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I thoroughly looked at trying to lower the motor. The steering cable and linkage is too low. I wouldn't even be able to fully go down to next hole. The boat was set up for a Force motor. When it blew 2yrs ago I decided to put my money into this motor instead of rebuilding the Force. I also have a 13x19 stainless that I have never used, but I think the pitch would be too high for what I'm looking for. I think I might go w/the 4 blade Amita 13x15. And put the coolers and gear in the back of the boat, instead of in the bow. Hopefully this will still give me the great holeshot, and keep more weight in back of boat to keep motor down a bit more.:confused: What do guys think about that idea.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

That boat should have a rounded Vee bottom which will require you trim under(down) in a turn and need to get as low as it can go on transom....

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Is the Hustler vented?
I think the tabs are fighting with the prop.Tabs may be disturbing the water as well.If applied to heavily the tabs can sap speed
and decrease mileage very slightly.Is the 1 3/8 measurement from the bottom up to the plate or from the bottom down to the plate?
I think I would start by leaving weight as it is and releasing the tabs all the way, evaluate weight placement and gradually apply tabs till you feel it is just enough.

bbfrs1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes the Hustler is Vented. That's why I don't know how much I would gain by going to a 4 blade. I got the 1 3/8 by putting a level down the transom and measuring the distance to the bottom of the plate at the front of the motor. I can move the tabs in one more setting so I will do that before I try a new prop.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I thoroughly looked at trying to lower the motor. The steering cable and linkage is too low. I wouldn't even be able to fully go down to next hole. The boat was set up for a Force motor. When it blew 2yrs ago I decided to put my money into this motor instead of rebuilding the Force. I also have a 13x19 stainless that I have never used, but I think the pitch would be too high for what I'm looking for. I think I might go w/the 4 blade Amita 13x15. And put the coolers and gear in the back of the boat, instead of in the bow. Hopefully this will still give me the great holeshot, and keep more weight in back of boat to keep motor down a bit more.:confused: What do guys think about that idea.

4" should be about a 800 drop in rpm's. More efficient blade design should bring back a couple hundred. So that puts you at about 5000 which is ok. I think OMC runs 4500 - 5500 recommended WOT. I had an 18' boat and similar OMC hp running an OMC SST 17" I could get 39 alone and pull a pair of slaloms at about 30, single heavy adult at 35mph.

Put your trim tabs up and your SS prop on and go run it. Come back and tell us what happened.

Mark

bbfrs1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I tried the SSt 13x19 and its not what I want. My holeshot was no where close to the 13.75x15 Hustler. I was not able to test high end, the water was choppy. But the SST was a lot better than my old 13x19 omc alum. Would it be possible to port the SST prop, then I could have a cruiser prop, when I'm just pulling around my kids on tube and doing some fishing. But not at same time. LOL

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Yes the Hustler is Vented. That's why I don't know how much I would gain by going to a 4 blade. I got the 1 3/8 by putting a level down the transom and measuring the distance to the bottom of the plate at the front of the motor. I can move the tabs in one more setting so I will do that before I try a new prop.
I don't quite understand how you measured.Normally you would put a straight edge along the keel out to the plate.
Measure from the top of the straight edge to the top of the plate.
If the plate is 1 3/8" above the bottom it may be too high.
I sure wouldn't expect the 19" to give much of a hole shot it,s too much prop.
You should be able to plug or reduce the vent holes on the Hustler.Might ease the venting.When you release the tabs all the way hole shot will slow but then we can tell if the tabs are causing the prop problems.Don't do everything all once try releasing the tabs and go from there.

bbfrs1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That is how I measured, the level was the straight edge. Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do about the height of the motor. I will not be able to turn motor if I move it down to next hole. So I'll have to make it work with what I have. The Hustler says its vented but there are no holes to plug.:confused: The only problem I'm having w/ setup is the blowout at sharp turns. When I go out of sharp turn and give it throttle my motor revs up and prop wont bite. So my original question is if a 4 blade prop would help this or if I should just quit complaining and forget about it?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The 4 blade should help blowout.Usually suggested to drop an inch when going to a 4 blade.
If you go 15 to 15 usually will lose 100 to 200 rpm.
Ran a quick calculation You have about 17% slip this could make venting occur easily.
17 is high 12% being high normal on an average size boat.
The 4 blade could improve the slip so possibly you may maintain speed or even improve a little.
I think the 14" might work. If it maintains 5600 and can reach 10% slip speed would be about the same.
Solas Amita 4 blades have a good reputation. Did you move the tabs in?

bbfrs1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes, I did move the tabs in, but it was w/ the sst 13x19 so I didn't notice anything but slow to plane. I will look into the Amita 4 blade. Also I will leave the smart tabs at their lightest setting and see how that goes w/ the Hustler prop. I was looking online at the Hustler props and all of them show actual vent holes. My box says vented sport prop. But my prop has no vent holes. Does anyone have a hustler prop w/ vent holes?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The holes may have plugs in them.Don't know what they might look like.
If the box said vented and you have your receipt and no vents maybe you can get an exchange or partial refund.