Help With 1986 Johnson 28 HP SPL

JtJr09

Cadet
I lent my boat to my friend about a month ago, and now it wont run right. The motor will now start up but when you put it in gear it will stall out. The only way to get moving is to rev it up in Neutral and then quickly pop it in gear. Sometimes it takes off sometimes it stalls out and bogs. Also when you do get it running it will cough and sputter.

I started the boat today in a barrel in the driveway and after running it for a few minutes I noticed that the barrel had a ton of black oil in the water and all over the side of the barrel.

I have always ran 100 to 1 as my oil mixture. It seems that my friend may have been using 50 to 1.

My thoughts are that the motor could be way to rich and this could be why its not running right, or possibly the high speed jet is clogged. I drained the carb fuel bowl today and it had some particles in it but not to much.

Any thoughts???

Can I remove the high speed jet with the carb still on the motor???

Johny25

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Help With 1986 Johnson 28 HP SPL

First of all STOP running 100:1 in your motor, 50:1 is the correct mix to run. Even though it says 100:1 on your motor johnson recalled this when motors started blowing up.

Ok just some particles can cause big problems with a carb. The jets and orifices are very small and easy to plug. Clean carb well reinstall and see what happens. Did your buddy mess with the slow speed idle screw? And it sounds like it could be out of sync. You may have to do a link n sync on it?

Do the carb and see if that helps. But I cannot stress enough NOT to run 100:1 in your motor, 50:1 is correct.

jasper60103

Commander
Re: Help With 1986 Johnson 28 HP SPL

Yea, I agree with Johny, and change your fuel mix to 50:1.
It should run just fine with the extra oil.