Another Newb Oil Question

barthel

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi All,

Sorry to rehash this in my first "official" post. I have used search and most of the links to the pre-emminent oil war thread are broken.

I just bought a '98 Stingray 180RS with the Merc 3.0L and an Alpha One drive (learned how to figure all that out here, so thanks much). :D

Even though it looks to be in good shape I am going through and giving it a tune up and replacing all the vital fluids. I know what oil Merc says to use but I was going to use synthetic motor oil. My questions is; would I be better served by using say Mobil 1 15W-50 versus Rotella 15W-40. I know the Rotella is diesel oil but I have seen a lot of people use it it bikes, jet skis and boats.

Mind you I'm fairly anal about changing the oil and filters in my cars, trucks and toys so I'm not so worried about how long it can stay in there, it's more a matter of convenience for me.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Another Newb Oil Question

Mind you I'm fairly anal about changing the oil and filters in my cars, trucks and toys so I'm not so worried about how long it can stay in there, it's more a matter of convenience for me.

Ayuh,.... Honestly,....
You can run ANY motor oil that can be bought off the shelf of Any Wally World, in the world....

You've read the threads,.....

Btw,.... Welcome Aboard....

tpenfield

Staff member

Does Mobil 1 have a 15W-40 or even a 10W-40? I think synthetic oil will stand up nicely versus conventional oil. I use the conventional stuff, but it seems to show its age quickly during seasonal use.

barthel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No, I think they have a 10W-40 or a 15W-50.

barthel

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the info gents, it was much appreciated. Doing the tune tomorrow! :D