Having heck of a time installing bellows MC-1

bart98stang

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys. I'm having a really hard time installing the U- joint and exhaust bellows on my MC-1 drive. YouTube, mercstuff.com, sterndriveshop.com, and others seem to be vague to me. I first installed the bellows on the transom assy and couldn't figure out how to fit them onto the bell housing. I took them off and installed them on the bell housing and then tried to fit them on the transom assy to no avail. Is there a trick you experienced folks use to install the bellows? Should just install one at a time? It's really starting to chap my butt and I don't want to hire a marine mechanic or take it to the dealer. Thanks.

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Having heck of a time installing bellows MC-1

not an easy job to be sure.
i'm pretty sure the s/m says install the drive shaft bellows on the bell housing first. then what i don't think is says is leave the bell housing loose so you can move it further fwd than it should be so ya can install the gimble housing end. this (not mounting the bell housing hinge pins) keeps the bellows from having to expand and act like a spring pulling the fore side of the bellows off the gimble housing. so imho, bellows on bell housing side first. no hing pins and allow the bell housing to come further fwd to assist in getting the ft. of the bellows connected to the gimble housing. other than that. it'll make yer fingers hurt to accomplish the deed.

exhaust bellows. use this tool to assist in assembling that. aft end last.

ericp501

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I found a local boat mechanic who is going to come to my house and change out all my bellow for me for $200.. you might wanna look on craigslist, thats how I found my guy.

cr2k

Captain

Bell housnig first and use windex on bellows so it will "slip" on the transom without sticking to the bellows adhesive.
Also make sure you have the correct bellows either with or without ridge. If the bellows has a ridge and the transome end does not have a groove you will never get it to seat.