Connecting Cole Hersee high temp/low oil alarm

Darol Wester

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm putting this on a 350 Chevy/Mercruiser and the only place I can see to put the temp sensor is on the side of the water pump where there's a plug. The access by the thermostat in the manifold is used for the dash temp gage already. I'm assuming that would be fine?

Also, the oil access by the distributor has an electrical sensor that looks like a oil cap with a wire off the top. Can I just put a T under it and add the low oil sensor to the T? I'm obviously doing this to avoid problems and not wanting to create one.

Sound OK to you guys?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Connecting Cole Hersee high temp/low oil alarm

What year engine?
Nothing goes into the water pump (assuming you mean circulation pump) the temp switch usually fits in the intake manifold or in the thermostat housing below the thermostat.Oil pressure is usually just Tee'd in with the oil pressure gauge sender

Darol Wester

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The boat is a 78, but we put a new motor in it maybe 10 years ago. I'm not sure what year it is. It was my partners and he died a while back.

Water pump on the engine.

Darol Wester

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is the front of the engine at the thermostat housing. Note the sensor already in the manifold for temp gage on dash. That's the only hole on the manifold I can see for water access. There is a plug on the top of the thermostat housing. Would that be a good place for the sensor? I'm guessing not.

P3270006.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... That's different lookin',.... Closed coolin', eh,..??

Darol Wester

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep. We spend most of our time fishing in the salt, so we installed a heat exchanger on it.

Bondo

Staff member

Well I imagine that brass plug on the top is for bleedin' air outa the block,...

If ya put another sensor there, It'll have to be the new bleeder, 'n it'll tell ya the temp of the water Leavin' the block, not that which is held back by the T-stat....

Darol Wester

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So if for some unknown reason the thermostat sticks, I'm not going to get the warning I'll need, right? I'm thinking of just pulling the temp gage sensor and putting my alarm sensor in. At least I'll be covered if it gets too hot. Bottom line...I save my motor. Unless someone has a better idea.??????