Basic question: Outboard Removal

MFW1

Recruit
Fairly new to the boating scene and repair. Need to remove a 60 hp Merc from a 17 ft Lund. Will I require a hoist or is there some sort of engine hoist that should be used? Or should I just find a couple of strong guys to lift it off?
Thanks

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: Basic question: Outboard Removal

Cherry picker on a garage floor works best.

Sunfish12

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your steering is disconnected and the engine unbolted have 2 guys hold it while you lift the trailer until it unhooks off transom then they can lay it over until you move the boat.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

A 60 HP motor is moveable by 2 guys. I do not like placing all that weight on the skeg, however. Drop the gearcase, and put some blocks and wood under the midsection. Now have someone lift the trailer tongue and have someone grab the motor.

fisherguy123

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can do what i did once......back the boat and trailer under a strong tree with an over hanging branch.......block the trailer.....disconnect the tow vehicle......use a lifting strap over the branch to the motor.......lower the tongue.....take up the slack.....loosen all the motor fastenings..............raise the tongue and OFF she comes !

gwukena

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can do what i did once......back the boat and trailer under a strong tree with an over hanging branch.......block the trailer.....disconnect the tow vehicle......use a lifting strap over the branch to the motor.......lower the tongue.....take up the slack.....loosen all the fastenings..............raise the tongue and OFF she comes !

Actually I thought since you're a newfie, you were going to tell a story of having the moose do it for you. LOL

Great lot you newfies are, had the pleasure of being a flatlander working with many of you while up in the Arctic.

turtles11756

Petty Officer 1st Class

the flywheel is threaded for a mercury lifting eye,then with an engine hoist/chain

boaterinsd

Petty Officer 1st Class

the flywheel is threaded for a mercury lifting eye,then with an engine hoist/chain
What is the thread of it? I have a Merc 70 hp 1981 model, and am replacing with a 1978 80 hp. TIA Jeff

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

don't know the thread size but merc has been using the same thread for many years. I borrowed one from a loca marina for free

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercury-Mar...ar&hash=item415652e09c&vxp=mtr#ht_1345wt_1165

The biggest danger in just having a couple guys lift it, is smashed fingers.
Second is an injured back.
Third is a damaged motor.

255653.thumb

tbird175

Petty Officer 1st Class

No, it is not a pipe thread. I bought mine on e-bay, very reasonable price.

boaterinsd

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok, i see thelink now. but found a strap from the bottom of eng. housing to the handles works great also