HP Rating Sticker

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I just realized that my pontoon that I have now doesn't have the manufacture sticker that says the hp rating on it anymore. I know it was a 100 hp but is this a problem I may face when getting the boat insured? Or do I need to call Lowe and order a new sticker for my new rails? Thanks!

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: HP Rating Sticker

You may never have a need for the sticker, then again you may be pulled over by the fuzz on the water and questioned or even cited for not having one. Safest thing would probably be giving the manufacturer a call to see if they can send you a new sticker. You will most likely need to give them the HIN so they can give you the right one if they do have loose ones available.

With out digging through your other posts (I assume maybe the answer is there) what happened to the original sticker?

Cubbyblue22

Petty Officer 1st Class

The original was scratched up pretty bad and I sold my old rails to buy new ones and there was no way I could get the old one off. I know that I have a 15 person capacity and a 100 hp rating. I called the manufacturer and they told me they couldn't make me a new one and I would need to call my coast guard.

Cadet

I know it is a liability issue but manufacturers should supply new capacity stickers. Some are such poor quality they don't last very long. Look for a small decal shop or guy who works on the side making graphics for signs and cars. Have a picture of a similar sticker or a sketch of what you want and they should be able to make one. Larger shops or manufacturers will be afraid to do it because of the perceived threat of being sued. Unfortunately it is a real threat nowadays. Of course, there are a lot of pontoon owners that would love to have a new sticker that would allow one or two more people. Capacity limits are there for a reason.