Need help Finding a gauge

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer
Hey all,

I am having an extremely hard time finding a particular replacement gauge.

I am looking for one of the dual feed temp warning buzzers (dash mount), that lets you hook up two temp sensor feeds from a johnnyrude v-4 or v-6....

I have one in my dash now, but it no longer works, and would like to get this set back up ASAP.
I have an 83' 175hp Evinrude, but I don't think it really matters.

I pulled the old one, and sadly the part # is no longer visible on it.

Shop2.evinrude is not being helpful... as its not listed in the parts diagrams, or as an available gauge. Anyone have a line on where to get these?

Or at least a part number for one so I can source it.

I will take a picture today and add it to the post...

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need help Finding a gauge

Slight edit to the post with a smidge more info... still hoping someone can give me a hand on this one! :)

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

yeah the update was this morning, will take a pic tonight on way home from work, and post tomorrow. Thanks

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

OK as promised, here is the picture of the gauge:

2012-03-29173501.jpg

It looks as if it "may" have an actual light on the left and the right, and definitely has a buzzer in it (nothing works anymore, original gauge from 78- 83?).

Picture of the wires:

2012-03-29173641.jpg

Color is a bit hard to see, but it has two, red with white stripe wires, and a light blue wire into it, that feed into the main harness from the controls, then runs back to the motor...

I am looking for any standard size replacement gauge that will get me the same function, without having to buy one of those new fancy all in one clusters.

Thanks again for the help!

Haffiman

Commander

Does not look like an original temp instrument kit to me, but a dual engine oil-pressure warning. However in principle the instruments are the same, an Ohm meter with a sign on the back ground indicating it measures oil in this case. What it in real may measure is all up the where the sender(s) are placed and their ohm range.

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

thanks for the reply, but doubt very seriously it can be an oil pressure gauge... boat is a 1978, was never oil injected, and never had an oil injected motor on it (and its an outboard, not twin I/O's ;) ). I followed the leads back, and in the harness they connect to the two brown leads from the temp senders (one each side of the heads), and the blue feeds power from off the ignition switch...

I assume, that if one or the other temp sender grounds, (due to high heat), the buzzer goes off (and it may light up for whichever side is hot).

I am just looking for an acceptable replacement, I would assume they have to make a dual temp alarm for OMC V-4's & 6's... why else have the temp sender leads? The problem I am having is that the only ones I can find online are all built into one of the new fangled all in ones, that have way more stuff than I need.... and are quite pricey :(

Haffiman

Commander

I believe it may be ruled out being an OMC instrument, the color coding does not correspond with the OMC color coding.
I do not believe it is a temp indicator showing engine temp, but an alarm indicator that gives alarm from stb or port(engine or engine bank) whichever sides trigger the switch and then showing a red light on the side the alarm is triggered.(striped wires in switched circuits, one-color in sensor and 'steady' currents). Most likely from a fly-bridge instrument set-up where space was limited for installing full instrumentation for dual engines.

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

I believe it may be ruled out being an OMC instrument, the color coding does not correspond with the OMC color coding.
I do not believe it is a temp indicator showing engine temp, but an alarm indicator that gives alarm from stb or port(engine or engine bank) whichever sides trigger the switch and then showing a red light on the side the alarm is triggered.(striped wires in switched circuits, one-color in sensor and 'steady' currents). Most likely from a fly-bridge instrument set-up where space was limited for installing full instrumentation for dual engines.

I cant say yes or no to that, as I am obviously not the original owner of the boat... all I can say is, it's a 78, that was repowered with an 83... it had all of the original OMC gauges (of which none worked), including that "buzzer" alarm one hooked to the temp senders...

full dash layout (not a flybridge)

Boat008.jpg

I blew the engine due to overheating it, and want to avoid that again by having a working temp alarm setup...

(already have a temp gauge added) but i would like this extra insurance. so I am still hoping someone, (anyone), can maybe tell me what the gauge was, or where to get something like it!

Haffiman

Commander

Hook the temp switches back to your alarm horn, just check that it works!! Install a water pressure gauge to replace the one you have.