94 Sundowner 195 gas gauge question

iamslotman

Cadet
I recently purchased this boat and I find the gas gauge only reads half when full. I found that when I ground out the sending wire, the gauge only reads 3/4. I would like to ground the wire at the gauge to be sure the wire between the sending unit and dash isn't damaged, but I do not know which wire to test. The instrument cluster contains a gas gauge, temp gauge, digital depth gauge, speedometer, tach, trim gauge, and voltmeter. All I see coming out of the cluster is a 1/4 vacuum hose (speedometer I assume) and another possible 1/4 rubber hose or possibly a well insulated wire that is connected to the instruments by a round gray 3/4" plastic connector (it twists slightly but I was afraid of breaking it by using force) plus 2 wiring harnesses. On the dash side, one harness has 5 wires (brown, black, white, red, and green) which connectes to the boats harness of 4 wires (purple, pink, blue, and light brown). The other connector has 3 wires from the dash (black, white, and red) that connects to a 3 wire plug on the boat harness side (purple, black, and light gray). Do you have any idea which wire feeds the gas gauge. I see that I can unscrew the cluster and open it to expose the seperate components, but I am not sure that is advised or practical. Are individual gauges sold seperately or is it all sold as a cluster dash? thanks in advance.

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 94 Sundowner 195 gas gauge question

On my 1992 Four Winns the wire from the fuel sender to the dash connector, and from the dash connector to the fuel gauge, is pink. I can't say if yours is the same. Good luck.