Need to pull engine. Need approximate weight..

Fisnfool

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm working on a 1965 Starcraft Holiday. It has the I/O 4 cyl inline 110hp. Anyone know about how much this engine would weigh?
I need to change the engine coupler. I can get a 1 ton engine lift boom that has a max lift at full extension of 500lbs.
Or the 2 ton lift with a max lift at full extension of 1/2 ton.
But cost is a big issue. The next hole back in the 1 ton will give me a 1/2 ton lift and may be fine for the lift point.
The manual gives the boom distance from the rear end of the boom.
I need to go to the store and measure the clearance from the boom jack to the engine lift point.
The hydraulic jack on either lift is safety rated to 3 ton.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Need to pull engine. Need approximate weight..

you will be close to 450# with the exhaust manifold on the engine. you can rent lifts from your local rental store

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... You can always pull the manifolds, 'n head to lighten the load...

Fisnfool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. I overlooked the obvious. I should pull the head and change the gasket anyway. The engine overheated a while back and I never changed the gasket. I noticed last year it was running a little warmer than usual at 20mph and that was with the thermostat out.

And I need to replace the pickup pump. It heat warped the plastic in the no wake zone back to the dock prior to storage last year.

I'll check on rental fees. Never thought of that, and it eliminates storage of the lift.

Bondo

Staff member

I should pull the head and change the gasket anyway.

Ayuh,.... Hard to say,...

You asked 'bout pullin' the motor, 'n never said Why yer pullin' it....

Fisnfool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The rental for a 1500# lift with a 93" reach is only $40 for the day, $24 for 4 hours.

The other issue with the water temp was the belt on the engine water pump was slipping. Changed to a new belt. And with do the stern drive pump before I pull the head. Since I can now have a lift to do the job. And it breaks down into 6 pieces to transport from the rental place. I did pull the engine pump to make sure it was clear.

I'll work on it tomorrow. It's still cold here today.