1990 Force 120 has sat for 10 years

rodttu02

Cadet
I am contemplating buying a 1991 Cajun bass boat off my girlfriends dad. He bought the boat brand new and took it to the lake all of about a dozen times; the last time being about a decade ago. Since then it has been under a carport with a cover over it. The boat looks brand new and like it just came off the showroom floor. He estimates the engine having under 100 hours on it.

I called two mechanics around the Dallas, Texas area and got an estimate of about $750 to change the waterpump and do a carburetor/fuel pump rebuild. I believe they both also metioned changing the oil/grease in the lower unit. After I did a little research on this site and ebay, I have realized two things:

1 - These engines are supposed to be very easy to work.
2 - I can get a new waterpump AND rebuilt/new carburetor for around 200.

I absolutely love working on cars/trucks, but this would be my first venture into boat engines. I will also note I owned a '52 Ford 8N tractor at the age of 14 and did a lot of the work there myself.

So, my question is this... For the sake of saving 500+, is it safe to say I could get this boat running by changing out the lower unit oil, install a new waterpump/carburetor, clean out the gas tank, and replace the fuel lines/filter? Am I missing anything in this list?

Thanks so much in advance. The lake is my happy place and I can't wait to get out there this year. With all the rain we have gotten, there's actually some water in the lakes!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1990 Force 120 has sat for 10 years

If you buy brand name lower unit oil, it will cost you 15 bucks. The impeller will cost around 30 dollars. The whole pump need not be changed unless the housing is bad. All you need to do for the carbs is buy a 4 dollar can of WD 40 and some pipe cleaners.. Remove the carbs and disassemble them. Spray all orifices and clean the bowl. No need for a rebuild unless the inlet needles and seats are worn and do not seal or the floats are saturated and do not control the fuel level. Change the fuel pump diaphragm and gasket for around 5 bucks.

So, for well less than 100 bucks barring any electrical or mechanical problems you can get it ready for the water. AND--- If you can miss your thumb with a hammer, you can do the work yourself--it only takes basic hand tools. Just read the sticky at the top of the forum so you do not set the carbs too lean.

Don't let the fact that the engine has been sitting for ten years worry you. I once bought a 12 HP Chrysler that had been laying on its side without the hood for art least 5 years that I know of. A small tree was growing through it. I took it home, cleaned the carb and set the points. It fired right up and still runs after a number of years.

stubtail

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Frank mentioned his 12hp that sat for years, well I had purchased an old Chrysler 105 that had been leaning up against a garage wall (at least it was out of the weather) that the seller claimed ran fine when he removed it from his boat when the transom got spongy over 12 years prior. I hung it on my boat, dropped the float bowls to clean out varnished fuel, stuck them back on, lowered the L/U into a livestock water trough, shot a little pre-mix into the carbs, and voila - she started right up. With the knowledge that the beast was a runner, then I invested a few bucks and sweat equity into taking care of the little things such as impeller, fuel pump diaphragm, L/U oil, and gave the carbs a good clean. I did check compression and noted slight variation between cylinders, but I cowled her up and gave her a chance, and she did quite well. She is still hanging in the transom, waiting for the ice to melt for another season.

To make a long story short, you shouldn't have to put money into someone else's pocket who really won't care about your motor when you can most probably take care of it yourself.

rodttu02

Cadet

Frank & Stubtail,

Thanks for the feedback! I feel much more optimistic about taking on the project. Do you guys recommend anywhere in particular for parts? I know I can get them off ebay, but feel a lot better about working with an online vendor as opposed to private party. The couple bucks saved isn't worth me having to deal with someone who may or may not respond to any issues I may have with their parts.

I have a manual on the way and look forward to getting her back in running condition.

Thanks again for your time.

Jerrod

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

You should be able to get what you need right here at the iboats store. If not, google Force outboard engines and a whole gaggle of sites will come up. If you have a Mercury dealer near you, you can also buy there at the parts dept.