Pressure points while trailering an inflatable...what to avoid

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
6994294237_c6689dfd18.jpg

I'm still looking at different trailer options but last year I noticed (while I had the "Pack Rat" on the dollie) the transom bottom was curved and I thought it would probably be very important to have the center point (see pic above) supported? If you trailer with a heavy engine mounted won't there be a lot of stress where the transom is glued to the tubes if you DO NOT provide support directly under the engine?

CapeAnn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Pressure points while trailering an inflatable...what to avoid

On my trailer I added a small carpeted bunk to alleviate the pressure on the centerpoint of the angled transom from the 115 lb motor. This is for local hauls only (1-2 miles). If I were going long distances I would take the outboard off and store it in the boot of the car. The idea of the outboard bouncing on gravely roads, ripping off the transom and causing accidents on the highway is not a pleasant thought. As per the tubes - I have my carpeted bunks slightly angled in so that there is a large amount of surface contact with the tube. Probably about 15 square feet worth of contact. So, I am not worried about pressure points on the tube as it's a distributed force.

mudslinging79

Petty Officer 1st Class

ion my 12 foot zodiak, i made a template of the transom as well as 2 carpeted bunks, one under each tube, full length of boat. tubes are supported, transom is suported, with or without motor. off season, the bunk setup acts as a storage cradle, supourted by 5 gallon buckets, one on each corner.

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with the 2 responses above, especially regarding removal of the motor for anything but short smooth hauls. Yours looks like a well-engineered transom, built to last, but it pays to be cautious. What model boat is this?

Larry

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

On my previous 380 sib lower transom sat evenly against tube's one piece long slat, if you intend to tow trailer with engine mounted at back on long distances and paved roads, inflate sib well to at least 2.5 psi to avoid excesive stress on transom holders & tubes. Place a thick cover on sib to avoid over infaltion specialy during summer periods, or dismount engine and place it appart on trunk.

Happy Boating

Attachments

• 02.JPG
    02.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 0