HP limit for pontoon

glust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Greetings All. Noob here with a quick question. Got a SunTracker Party Hut 30 with a 140 HP Johnson 2 stroke. The plate on my boat says "HP 110" along with the model number, maximum passengers, weight, etc. Will I get through an Ohio safety inspection with this motor on this boat? Thanks in advance...

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: HP limit for pontoon

Even if someone tells you they had no problems, do you really want to find out the hard way? Another thing to consider is if you plan on insuring you boat for liability (which you should), there is a good chance most insurance carriers will tell you "no thanks" to insuring a boat that's been overpowered, especially by that much.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Welcome aboard g. Before even attempting a safety inspection (we don't have them here, but I wish we did:rolleyes:), take down the serial number and call Tracker for clarification regarding whether 110 is the max horsepower or merely the recommended horsepower. My suspicion would be the former, in which case I certainly hope they wouldn't green light it with a 140. Hopefully I'm wrong, but find out for sure before doing anything else. Good luck.:cool:

Jeep Man

Commander

What year is the Suntracker? 110 HP seems low for a 30' pontoon. Mine is a 20' and has a 115 HP rating.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

What year is the Suntracker? 110 HP seems low for a 30' pontoon. Mine is a 20' and has a 115 HP rating.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I've got a 135 HP on a 25 footer (triple tube).

edit: I agree with Incoop. You should start with the Mfg.

glust

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the info guys. You all said what I thought I would hear. I will take the serial number and call Tracker as suggested. I will update for informational purposes what I find out. Thanks again for all of the help. Over and out.

The Rooster

Ensign

Welcome, "Glust". The newer Party Huts are rated for 150 hp. max. Suntracker may send you a new capacity plate, if there was no major redesign for the motor pod. Good luck !!!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Yes, as you and Rooster mentioned, year of manufacture is a major factor. My 2001 21 footer is rated for a ninety. Some times I think they just close their eyes and point LOL.:confused: Not really of course.