1972 Evinrude 18 HP Clutch Dog/Lower unit

moxieman

Seaman Apprentice
MY 1972 Evinrude 18 HP outboard recently started popping out of gear at wide open throttle. All fingers seem to point the clutch dog, I was told to replace the clutch dog as well as the forward gear. What i'm trying to do it locate both of these parts, I have a lead on the clutch dog, part # 390030 from a user on here, however I still need to locate the forward gear. Does anyone have these laying around, or possibly a whole lower unit that has these parts that are good? Anyone else seem to think that my issue may be caused by something other than the clutch dog?

PS-Model # is 18202 RC

scuba_redneck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1972 Evinrude 18 HP Clutch Dog/Lower unit

If you know a guy who has a machine shop and a spare hour or two, you can see if you can get him to resurface the engagement surfaces. I just had my clutch dog and forward gear refaced for $40 and it now runs like new. I have a 1973 18 hp fastwin and no complaints. When removing material, tell the machinist to take off just enough material to remove the rounded edges. Good luck to you!

kfa4303

Banned

HI moxieman. I'm about to do an entire LU rebuild on my '66 20 hp. I placed a WTB add on aomci.org and got a several calls with offers within the first day. I got super lucky and got a complete set of gears, clutch dog and prop shaft for a ridiculously good price (well under $100 w/shipping total!), so I would check there first. E-bay and marineengine.com are good too, but can be pricey. I'll be posting a step by step how-to thread for an LU rebuild and reseal once my parts get here. Good luck.

Muskokaboy

Recruit

I also have a 1972 Evinrude model 18202R with a messed up clutch dog. I took off the lower unit according to the instructions in my Seloc manual and much to my surprise the drive shaft stayed with the exhaust housing. It does not want to come out no matter how hard I pull.

Do I need to take off the powerhead to get the drive shaft out?

kfa4303

Banned

Hi Muskokaboy. If the drive shaft is stuck in the underside of the power head, you're going to have to get creative. Some folks flip the motor on it's head to allow penetrating oil to get into junction, while other try removing the power head to gain better access. Either way, patience and Deep Creep are you friends. Just take it slow and be methodical.

Muskokaboy

Recruit

Thanks for your response. Would it be corroded at the top 0f the drive shaft? Would that indicate a leaking cooling system?

lindy46

Captain

The splines on the driveshaft are probably rusted in the crank (the crank is not stainless steel). There is an o-ring below the splines at the top of the driveshaft which keeps water from riding up into the crank, and I'll bet yours is missing.

kfa4303

Banned

+1. There's a thin little, black o-ring just below the splines at the top that can often go missing, or get destroyed. Without it, water in the submerged leg is able to "climb" up the driveshaft as it spins and get into the junction to start the rusting process. Amazing how a little $.50 part can cause so much trouble. Thankfully, lots of folks have had success removing them. Just gotta be patient and persistent.

Muskokaboy

Recruit

I really appreciate the advice and moral support. So I have turned the engine upside down and I am squirting penetrating oil on the drive shaft twice a day. I wiggle it around and pull it after each application but so far no go. I am going out of town for 3 weeks so I will hope that the oil does its magic over that time. Is there some kind of puller I can use on it? Would it help to heat it? I really want to get my fishing boat in the water this year.